Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2.0 di non starter

hi all any advice gratefully accepted.
    my 2.0 di low blow estate v reg turns over but will not start,started and ran perfect this morning all the way to work then came to go home 8 hours later,turns over but non starter has yellow rad/fan light on dash and fan comes on as if overheating then fan goes off but light still on.
    rac came but could not even get any connection on obd scan.
    this car has already cost me a considerable amount as i had a new/recon diesel pump (ouch)and second hand ecu feb 2008 & only done 8ksince then.
    regards pete.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Pete
    The fact that the RAC could not get a connection gives a clue so check your connections to the fuel pump for tightness, spray some contact cleaner on them and give them a wiggle to see if this helps, if not check the connections at the ECU in the same way, but first disconnect the battery. Another reason for no signal would be complete failure of the ECU, altough at this stage I think a bit pessirmistic so look for the obvious first.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im under the impression that if you pull the ECU's connector off, you have to re-code(?) the ecu to the car? or have it been told lies?

ive recenlty been over every connector in my engine bay, but those two i left well alone!

would like to know too!

cheers
    alex.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The pump plug won't cause you any problems, but I just undo the battery for about an hour before unpluging the ECU and have not had any problems with reconnection. It would suggest one of these plugs are causing the problem as you are getting no readout to OBD2 socket. There is more chance that the pump connection has become loose, especially now you have checked all other earth connections.

Good luck with it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thxs for the quick replys all.
    local garage could not get faults read so asked them to fit a crank sensor just to be sure but still no start.so they got a vx tech guy to read it but came up with d1631 code psg1 ?
    said pump was faulty,im not convinced though so sending it back to people who fitted the last pump as they said they would have a look f.o.c as a good will gesture because warranty ran out over 12 months ago for pump,but its hardly done 8k.
    they seem to think it could be wiring somewhere at fault.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hey I was just looking on the Vauxhall forum, did a search with your error code, and the first thing that came up was a list of codes for the X20DTH and X20DTL engines. They say that P1631 = replace control unit injection pump...

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showt...ult+code+p1631

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi thx for that paul but do you mean change the edc or the whole pump as ive read on the net about a company called diesel pump repairs offering a service for the edc but you have to chop wires & remove from pumpthen send it to them for testing may be worth a go but dont know how much they charge or if it will work.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi p.j.

I just provided a link to info about the fault code that you mentioned because I found it on the Vauxhall website. It just says to "replace the control unit". But did you follow the link and have a read about similar problems others had?

Don't know if it applies to your sytem or relates to your problem, but I've read where some people manage to fix their problems by locating and re-soldering any dry joints in the unit, other posts about sending it off for repairs, others about installing a completely new pump (sounds expensive).

You said the people who installed the pump were going to have look - so what happened about that? No luck?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might be along shot,but could it be the injector seals,they are known for the car not starting when it has been stood a few hrs, but once the fuel has got thro and warm it runs ok,
    we had to tow one to get it going.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dogsbolox has a good point and may be much closer than a long shot, air in the fuel system will cause havoc even a pin hole, so all the fuel and return pipes should be checked for there condition and if they look at all wet or frayed change them, I just fixed a 2.0L low blow which was missing and had poor pulling power and trouble starting, changed the laeakback pipes £4.99 from Halfords and is now running like a dream, although had to put a jump on it as it took it's time to bleed the air out. Do you have a good battery on the vehicle, and is it turning over well, if not charge it up and check the condition of the earth leads where they join the body/engine. If you suspect the earth lead use a jump lead from bat earth and to a good point on the engine to make a temp earth and see if that helps. I also think it may be somthing as simple as air or an electrical fault causing your problem, anyway lets hope so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast