Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk 4 Astra Sport z16xep issues

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and astras and could do with some help. I recently bought an 04 Astra Sport (Mk 4) 1.6 16v Twinport and took it to the garage for a once over and to get a bunch of stuff done to it (brake pads, ARB links, shocks, timing belt).

Since getting it back and taking it on a couple of 50+ mile runs its started playing up big time. Initially the emmisions light came on and a pedal test threw up a P0136 fault which I believe is an O2/lamda sensor high voltage.

After further driving (another 90 mile round trip) the car began running very rough towards the end of the trip and the fault codes were P0136 plus P0300 and P0301-4.

Other symptoms are:

- high idle speed when cold (1100rpm)
    - poor running, misfiring, juddering increasing with temp
    - takes a long time to come up to temp even then is still well below vertical - reading about 80.

I guess I should start by cleaning /changing the lamda sensor but I'd really like an opinion from someone who knows a bit more than I do before I start taking things apart. I'd also really appreciate it if someone could definitively tell me where it is. Any opinions would be much apreciated before I have to go back to the garage and drain my bank account again.

Cheers...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    0300-0304 is your coil pack mate

you could try plugs first but all those codes are a sure fire sign of coil pack failure - the missing and juddering is another give away - does it sound like a subaru on acceleration?

anyway coil pack for the XEP is part number 10458316 and Id advise sticking to a genuine Delphi branded unit

Theres a few on ebay for around the £80 mark but heres a full list of all those listed under this part number..... theres a few genuine GM ones which although on an auction format, could be had for a real bargain if ur lucky! might be worth emailling the seller for instance for a buy it now price

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_...sacat=0&_rdc=1

0136 should be your rear O2 sensor and youll be looking at around £80 for one of these too....

I always swear by cleaning the lambdas in petrol but some ppl say it dont work - it works for me so thats all the proof i need. gotta be worth a shot

u may wanna change ur plugs as said earlier but coil pack is my main suspicion of the 03** codes

0300 being random multiple cylinder misfire (99% of the time a coil pack failure)
    0301 being pot 1 all the way upto 0304 for pot 4 misfire

thermostat could be sticking so this may be another line to look down - its in the same assembly as the EGR model on the XEP so not as easy to change as other models - still straight forward though

stat here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-1-6-X...item414b38d713

As you can probs see - virtually all parts on this engine (even simple things like a stat) are considerably more expensive than the run of the mill single port engines

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate - thanks for the quick reply. Had my suspicions about the coilpack after reading some other threads with similar issues but wanted a specific opinion on mine just in case the lamda high voltage issue would have caused the misfiring of itself - but if its the rear one that seems unlikely. Plugs have just been changed so I'll change the coil pack and see how things go... cheers for the advice!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metrorat View Post
    Hi mate - thanks for the quick reply. Had my suspicions about the coilpack after reading some other threads with similar issues but wanted a specific opinion on mine just in case the lamda high voltage issue would have caused the misfiring of itself - but if its the rear one that seems unlikely. Plugs have just been changed so I'll change the coil pack and see how things go... cheers for the advice!
    arite mate i have 2 coil packs for sale for your very engine, one brand new, box is open but only to check it, and the other has only been used for a short time, maybe about 5000 miles

Both genuine delphi parts

let me know if your interested....
    NOW SOLD! Astra G 1.6 16V, 10000k HID kit, GSI Spoiler, Tinted windows, Coilovers,
    Aberdeen area diagnostics PM me.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mikey4996, cheers for the offer but that ship has sailed...

Busy with work so didn't have time to do it myself. Took it to the local garage - got 2 new lambda sensors, a new coil pack fitted and the throttle body cleaned out. Its running better but emissions light came on again on the way home from the garage with more misfire faults logged. Lambda fault has gone.

Pretty hacked of that the garage haven't sorted the problem and am now wondering if the egr valve may be responsible for the hesitation, slightly erratic idle and intermittent judder i'm getting. Any thoughts?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    EGR is common to cause those problems - the 'high idle when cold' issue isn't an issue though, it's the ECU keeping the idle high until the engine warms enough then it drops it down to normal.

As the EGR is within the thermostat 'part' then changing both of these may well resolve the temp issues and the others you mention. EGR can easily bring on the emissions light if it isn't running correctly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did they fit a genuine Delphi coil pack??? im guessing a el cheapo was used if it was a local garage

at least give the EGR a clean if ur in doubt

as a replacement costs 90 big ones..... if u dont know what ur lookin for heres a replacement so u can locate it (petrol is best to clean them)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-EGR-V...item2c5047ff18

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This forum is great for fast replies - thanks!

Any idea of the cost of replacing the egr/thermostat assembly on my engine and is it relatively easy to do?

Yep - all vx parts I was assured - whole lot cost £500 so hey bloody should be.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The link in GeordieBandit's post was to a suitable thermostat unit. It should be an easy job, one I'd not even suggest paying a garage to do really. EGR for my Z16XE was £65 delivered via eBay for a Delphi unit, not sure for yours but will likely be similar.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    stat is slightly different on the XEP but its attached to the same housing as the EGR valve so when you remove the EGR to clean it out you can address the thermostat replacement at the same time

replacement EGR posted in prev reply if need be - try cleaning it though first

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast