Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Greasy Windows - What To Do?

Hello everyone,

I have an Astra Twintop which I picked up in September (just befor the rain started - Doh!). When you lower the roof all four side windows go down, the roof lowers into the boot and then all four side windows come back up.

The problem I have is that when the car was cleaned before delivery whoever cleaned it must have used used some sort of silicone cleaner (or something like that) on the interior trim and managed to get this stuff on the glass rubber seal and the glass where the seal meets it. Consequently every time the windows go down they come back up covered in silicone smears - which is really handy at this time of year given the rubbish weather and hardly being able to see where you are going anyway!!!

In short, can anyone recommend me a product to clean the seals? I imagine that in time the stuff will just wear away, but it's really annoying form a car cleaning OCD point of view. At the moment to clean the windows I use either AG Fast Glass or the AG Glass Polish, either of which bring the windows up nice. I just need to get rid of the silicone residue.....

Thanks for your help.
    John P.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this is done quite often by dealers, mainly to stop leaks!

white spirit could be used but be carefull as it will dry out the seals.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Ben,

I wondered whether it would be used to - ahem - "Assist" with sealing the water out. Obviously the top seals need to be good and tight - but the lower seals, on the inside? I think it was just a shoddy prep by the dealer (wheels were rubbish too - see an earlier post). As you point out I don't want to use too much white spirit as this will dry out the seals. What about vinegar (as it's an acid), do you think this could work and be more gentle on the rubber?

Thanks,
    John P.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns 2 SRi's View Post
    Thanks Ben,

I wondered whether it would be used to - ahem - "Assist" with sealing the water out. Obviously the top seals need to be good and tight - but the lower seals, on the inside? I think it was just a shoddy prep by the dealer (wheels were rubbish too - see an earlier post). As you point out I don't want to use too much white spirit as this will dry out the seals. What about vinegar (as it's an acid), do you think this could work and be more gentle on the rubber?

Thanks,
    Vinegar works an absolute treat. I have used it before numerous times. It also works well to clean the windows when they get full of scum, particularly a car that has been smoked in. (I dont smoke by the way!!! but just to let you know)

Just make sure to use white vinegar.

Damien
    No astra at the moment, have a Vw golf 1.9Tdi, but watch this space...

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above .. white vinegar and well scrunched up newsprint will do the job

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Damien,

That's good to hear - I think I'll give the vinegar a try first, before I go for the white spirit.

Yeah, white vinegar of course, Don't want the car smelling like a chippy!!

On the other hand that would give me an excuse to buy something nice smelling to treat the inside of the car with - just thinking through negotiations with the Mrs!!!

Thanks for your help.
    John P.

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    When using the white vinegar on the newspaper try and make a thin sliver of it and try and get inside the door to rid the inside of the residue as well.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Chewy,

Thanks for that - good idea. I imagine that the stuff is everywhere, wherever the glass touches. I reckon I'll be cleaning this stuff off until the cows come home!!! A little bit of thought from the dealer / prep guy and it wouldn't have been a problem - never mind, gives me an excuse to be out fiddling around with the car!!

Thanks,
    John P.