Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zafira B Cambelt Intervals

Hi

This may seem like a daft question but my dad and I are moving to Zaffy B's within this week and I am wondering though when the cambelt kit and waterpump should be replaced?

06 & 56 plated cars

My mum however still has her Zaffy A and loves it so shall get to drive both styles.

I have been told the new timing is 100k or every 10yrs is this right?

Cheers

Roy
    ------------- ZAFIRA B 1.6 16v ------------

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cambelt interval depends on the engine - many petrol Vauxhalls were originally down as an80,000 mile interval, however as many were snapping around the 50-56,000 mark, they reduced this to every 40,000 miles. No idea on more recent engines, or those with timing chains and not belts.

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    On the CDTi diesels, the official figure is 100000 miles or every 10 years. However, what has happened to some is for the water pump to fail around the 60000 mile mark and throw off the still-intact cambelt.

For the 16v CDTi this isn't as terminal as it sounds, as it has special rocker arms that snap if the cambelt or pump goes... this protects the valves from the impact of the pistons, meaning you'll just need to replace the snapped rockers and cambelt/water pump and you're good to go again! Head removal not required

The 8v on the other hand doesn't benefit from this, so if the cambelt goes it's probably toast.

I would say the basic rule applies: if you don't know for certain, get it done.
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangoid View Post
    On the CDTi diesels, the official figure is 100000 miles or every 10 years. However, what has happened to some is for the water pump to fail around the 60000 mile mark and throw off the still-intact cambelt.

For the 16v CDTi this isn't as terminal as it sounds, as it has special rocker arms that snap if the cambelt or pump goes... this protects the valves from the impact of the pistons, meaning you'll just need to replace the snapped rockers and cambelt/water pump and you're good to go again! Head removal not required

The 8v on the other hand doesn't benefit from this, so if the cambelt goes it's probably toast.

I don't understand why they can't do this for all models, or is a money making ploy? Am I being too cinnical?
    Now drives a Vectra C 1.9 cdti SRi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangoid View Post

Blimey god knows now lol the car i am moving to is nothing really special its a 1.6 16v again and is basic which means I can add my small touches like tints wheels etc which are planned for in the new year.

Are the 1.6 chain or belt driven?

Cheers

Roy
    ------------- ZAFIRA B 1.6 16v ------------

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    In that case, 40000 is the magic number

And they are belt driven.
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Change interval for the 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines is 150000km (~95k miles) or 10 years and for the 2.0 Turbo 120000km (~75k miles) or 8 years.
    2.2 is chain driven.
    For 1.9 diesels it's 150000km (~95k miles) or 10 years.
    Opel Astra 1.8 Elegance Saloon '02 233k miles
    Opel Astra 1.8 Sport Caravan '99 225k miles
    Opel Astra 1.6 Ultimate Wagon '10 87k miles Click

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will be doing mine when she hits 40k miles, . Better be safe than sorry as they say, lol.
    Zaffy VXR| RARB | VXRacing 19s in Black |Stage 2丨 Pipercross Open Cone| 7" DVD with Sat Nav |Full Rear Sunblinds | C. Hatch Front Grille | Leds Footwell Lightings |