Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 diesel loosing coolant

HI,
    New here hope someone can help me, my 54reg 1.7 diesel is loosing coolant and when i park the car it leaves a wet patch on the ground
    under the near side wheel arch.looks lke its comming from behind the
    plastic inner wheel arch.
    hope someone can help thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi "chregg",

Waterpump leaking maybe? Guess you might have to remove some covers or whatever, clean up all the splattered coolant and run the engine while watching to see exactly where it comes from...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks ,
    Trouble is i can't see any splattered coolant when looking under the bonnet with or without the engine running.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Bugger - sometimes leaks are hard to pinpoint. I've got a slow leak on the other car (a Rover) that I eventually traced back to the inlet manifold gasket (common problem). Maybe somebody else with the same car as yours will have had a similar leak and provide some info.

Can you actually see the waterpump from below? Not familiar with you engine but just going on some info here it looks like you might need to remove the lower engine cover to get a better view of the waterpump...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Going to take a look today not sure were the water pump is situated but normally on the front of the engine near the belts, and the water is comming from behind the plastic wheel arch near the passenger door pillar, near were you would fit a mudflap.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    expansion / coolant bottle or possibly the pipes leading from beneath it, isn't the water pump located on the drivers side? :s I may be wrong.
    OPCOM Stoke / Stafford | reset EML lights | fault codes | program keys | activate cruise control |
    PM me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willeywilson View Post
    expansion / coolant bottle or possibly the pipes leading from beneath it, isn't the water pump located on the drivers side? :s I may be wrong.
    LOL - sorry, my mistake, I assumed near side might mean drivers side - not familiar with your jargon.

I also have to look it up every time some says something like "54 reg" as we don't use your system.

Wherever the coolant leak is coming from it sounds like the lower engine will have to be removed, probably some cleaning required and a close inspection done before the leak can be pinpointed.

yeah - it does sound like expansion bottle or hoses connected to it....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All very valid points above, however if it were me I would get the system pressure tested if you are unable to locate the leak, putting the system to on bar will show any leaks pritty quickly such as the water pump seals. Also check for white crystaline deposits around your hoses and around the radiator for rusty/green deposits. I don't think a pressure test should cost more than about £20.00.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is an extremely common "fault", it is a small S shaped pipe which goes on to the EGR most of the time. It melts due to the heat produced. They cost about £6 from a dealership and you could fit it yourself. If you had said you didn't see any patches I would suggest another common fault which is heavy handed people putting the top back on the expansion tank - many cross thread them. The garage did that to mine and it took ages for me to find!
    There is no need for pressure testing unless you are seeing a white deposit when you remove the oil cap.

The easiest thing to do is take the car out for a short run, then leave the engine running and get a torch. If it is the common fault I mentioned then you will see the water pouring out near the back of the engine and one of the pipes will feel wet.

If it was the radiator the water would drip from it. With a 54reg it will not be the water pump so don't let a garage replace it and leave you with the same problem. They need to correctly diagnose it and unfortunately for this type of problem they can't just plug a computer in and get a fault code! So someone with proper mechanical experience and knowledge of Vauxhall cars is required. They are few and far between in my experience so good luck!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=sxi100;2073319]There is no need for pressure testing unless you are seeing a white deposit when you remove the oil cap.

This would be true if you suspected the head gasket and even this would not show if the failure was sending water into the bore as this would not mix with the oil; I would suggest a chemical test for this particular fault. A pressure test will check the waterpump seals especialy around the bearing as the age or milage of any component is not an indicator of it's effectivness. If you have a very small leak in your radiator and it is high up you may loose just a little until the level falls below it. A good point about the cap and I would not mess about but just replace it to rule it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast