Thread: changing the handbrake cable adjustment ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

changing the handbrake cable adjustment ?

Ive gotta new handbbrake for my astra and was wondering if u had to do all the bits like the haynes manual says ?

E.G pess the pedal and till the rear drums adjust ?

or would it just simply be a case of unbolting the cable and re bolting it back up when changed ?

thanks mike ?
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    you can press the pedal loadsa times if you wish and it is the 'by the book' way if you want to do that, however i have never known in all my years working on vauxhalls, for the rear drum brake adjusters to click up themselves. fit your brake cable, manually adjust the rear shoes by clicking the adjuster by hand, 2 clicks at a time and fitting the drum each time you click/adjust and when the drum evetually just rubs the shoes on spinning then you can manually adjust the slack in the new handbrake cable. press the brake pedal 2 times to centre the shoes and then tighten the handbrake lever nut (10mm) until the handbrake grips the rear wheels on 2 clicks. let off handbrake, spin wheels to check for binding, job done

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey mate i dont need a rear brake cable to be fitted only th handbrake i just wanted to know if theres an easier way of doing it othet than the haynes way ? as i read somewhere that is it just a case of unbolting the the cable swap the handbrake and adjust the handbrake to 3/4 clicks then re tighten them up ?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    sorry mate i just read the title saying 'changing the handbrake cable adjustment' and off i went as usual in essay format lol. the haynes way is indeed the correct way, then just follow the last part of my essay for the cable adjustment

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    **** i was hopeing it was an easier way how do u know that the rear drums have adjusted themself ? mate ?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    you won't mate, because as i said earlier 'they never do'. it is a shite design that does not work, the moment the car leaves the factory. you can check by jacking up the car, pressing the brake pedal 2 times then spin the wheel by hand and if adjusted correctly the wheel will just rub slightly on the shoes, if wheel spins freely then adjustment is required

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    **** is it a mechanic job to the handbrake or would a person with levels of doing a home serivce be able to do it ? as i want to do but i dont wanna end up with no handbrake or end up with drag from rubbing drums ? mike!

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    if you work methodically or follow the Haynes, i am sure you will be fine and adjusting the rear dums is straight forward and not at all difficult. if you decide to have a go and need further advice, just PM me and i will be happy to help you and save you a few pennies