Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fuel filer change

Hi guys,
    I'm about to service my astravan tomorrow including changing fuel filter and decide to ask advise first.
    I'm I right thinking that it is simple removing filter housing,old filter out,new one in,topping up housing with fuel and place lid back on again?
    Or I'm missing something?
    Also when to drain housing - before or after placing new fuel filter in?
    Thanks!
    Jorgen.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dats about it exactly as youve said. May however take a bit of starting afterwards. So foot to the floor on accelerator, crank it and as soon as it takes keep it at a minimum of 3000 revs for a bout a minute or so to allow fuel to settle, then drop it to about 2000 revs for another minute or so and it should be fine.
    No astra at the moment, have a Vw golf 1.9Tdi, but watch this space...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sx297 View Post
    I think he meant for a diesel....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank guys!
    And yes,I meant filter in diesel engine

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry whats the diferance [spelling sorry]

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I can't find a picture for you but on my 1996 diesel Astra the fuel filter is a fairly large item bolted onto the firewall that looks a bit like a large oil filter and has a rather hefty shield to protect it. I have seen that some people remove the shield, I guess to make it easier to change the filter when necessary - but I just put mine back where it was after changing the filter.

The stock filter has a drain at the bottom where periodically you are supposed to drain any water that may have accumulated. I don't think most people bother even checking. When I took over my Astra I noticed somebody installed a filter without a drain at the bottom.

And as said, the concensus is to hold the new filter upright and fill it with diesel fuel before doing it up - requires a lot less cranking to get the engine going again. Done this a couple of times and mine fired up straight away - never missed a beat...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I understood in diesel engine you need open metal hosing (similar to oil filter housing) and then replace cartridge when in petrol engine filter is in one piece and located out of engine bay (somewhere by drivers door)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgen View Post
    As far as I understood in diesel engine you need open metal hosing (similar to oil filter housing) and then replace cartridge when in petrol engine filter is in one piece and located out of engine bay (somewhere by drivers door)
    Different models have somewhat different filters. Some have cartridges that fit into a housing.

Mine is a 1996 diesel Astra (that's an Astra F, aka Mk3) with the X17DTL (GM) engine and doesn't have a cartridge system. I just looked up info for the Mk3 X17DT Isuzu engine and it is the same.

I looked up diesel fuel filters for a couple of Astra G engine (Mk4) and they also have a crash box and a way to drain accumulated water, but look to be the type that have a cartridge. In fact I just saw a cartridge filter on eBay UK as described for a Astra G with the Z17DTL engine. Is yours an Mk4?

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    Different models have somewhat different filters. Some have cartridges that fit into a housing.

Mine is a 1996 diesel Astra (that's an Astra F, aka Mk3) with the X17DTL (GM) engine and doesn't have a cartridge system. I just looked up info for the Mk3 X17DT Isuzu engine and it is the same.

I looked up diesel fuel filters for a couple of Astra G engine (Mk4) and they also have a crash box and a way to drain accumulated water, but look to be the type that have a cartridge. In fact I just saw a cartridge filter on eBay UK as described for a Astra G with the Z17DTL engine. Is yours an Mk4?

Cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul,
    yeah mine is MK 4 no idea on engine code thou,
    It seems like mine is cartridge like as today I visited Vauxhall dealership for service parts and the only one thing they gave me for fuel filter was paper wave-like cartridge with couple of ruber rings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast