Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver Awareness Scheme - Anyone been on one?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Driver Awareness Scheme - Anyone been on one?

Picked up my first speeding offense ever in my 8 years of driving . Really annoyed at myself, but thats by-the-by now. (More annoying was i got it in my 1.6 MK5 about 5 days before i picked up the 1.9 CDTi SRi...).

Either way, 36 in a 30, was told i would be offerred a 'Driver Awareness Scheme' placement. Didnt really know what it was, so spoke to my father in law, said it was quite civilised, coffee, biscuits and a general chit chat, no condacendingness, no telling off, just a sensible talk about your actions and how speed affects things etc. Said it's all done in a group.

Now i've had my confirmation through, £70.00 for the course, rather than £60.00 fine and 3 points, so i'm going for the fact it won't increase my insurance over the next few years, so definately the best bet in my opinion.

Has anyone else been on one, got any comments or info about how yours went?

Look forward to hearing.

Cheers in Advance.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I went on one, much better than points. It could be done so much better though instead of listening to a couple of driving instructors ramble on and play un shocking videos. I did get a pen and a keyring so wasnt all lost

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You get a pen and keyring?! All in the price of £70 - well worth it! heh

As you say, think it would be better than points and the insruance premium extra's you'd have to pay.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a mate that went on one then got done speeding on the way back home. Strangely, the police were not impressed at all.
    'Luctor Et Emergo'

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I didnt even get offered this scheme
    Honda Civic Type R

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Trenchy - what speeds were you doing and what was the limit?
    After speaking to friends / neighbours, it seems it is totally at their discretion as to if they offer it or not! Sounds a bit unfair to me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive done one - mine was a bargain 60 quid

its not too bad although is a little boring - I could have thought of better ways to spend 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon

It has slowed me down in built up areas but has made no difference to the way I drive on b roads or motorways
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did one, got caught at 35 in a 30. I was expecting it to be full of boy racer types, but there was all ages there, old women, middle aged men etc. Was 2hours in a classroom, listening to some copper go on a bit and watching the short 'scary' videos.
    The funny thing was, most people jumped in their cars and vans at the end of the course and wheel spun out the car park.
    Was a few years ago since I did mine and touch wood haven't been caught again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it goes on record for three years that you have taken this course .. and if you get caught speeding again in that time ,instead of getting your fixed speeding penalty the police can send you to court where you can recieve more then the usual points a larger fine and possibly get a ban... as the courts look at it as if you havent learnt your lesson...
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supersterl View Post
    it goes on record for three years that you have taken this course .. and if you get caught speeding again in that time ,instead of getting your fixed speeding penalty the police can send you to court where you can recieve more then the usual points a larger fine and possibly get a ban... as the courts look at it as if you havent learnt your lesson...
    I've not heard that, i was always told if you get caught again you're forced to take points/fine option.

Don't see why they could take you to court for doing 36mph in a 30 zone twice in 3 years, when if you just take the points you can do it a 3rd time with no court summons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast