Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Noise when turning steering wheel

Hello everyone,

Iím getting a strange noise from my 1998 Astra Mk4 hatchback when turning my steering wheel left (it was only doing it on the odd occasion but has got worse over the past month). Itís a sort of whirring noise.

I know for a fact that new brake pads are in order and also my two front tyres need replacing. Other than that, the car runs good as gold. Any idea as to what is usually the common cause of this noise? At first I thought it was just slightly audible to me inside, but I had my window down today and noticed that it is quite audible outside of the car!

Your helpís much appreciated. Thanks

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    it is probably coming from the electrohydraulic steering pump, check the power steering bottle is full of fluid and try (with the engine on) turning the steering fully to the feft then right a couple times to bleed any air out. if it continues to get noisier then it may need a new pump, the early ones were known to prematurely fail

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it a clicking noise when you turn left ??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its more of a whirring noise if its the same issue as mine, mine happens all the time for past 2 months now but just though it was another noise from the car lol but after talking to my dad its been linked to the steering pump and mine is a 1999 mk4 astra :S

Rye

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your help and replies. It's definately a whirring noise, and I will check out the steering pump.

Showed it to my dad who's normally got a good idea about these things and he says that he has had the same problem on a couple of cars before and it was the brake pads. He took it for a spin and has said that the noise is coming when driving straight too not just when you turn the steering, which I didn't notice!

Anyway, will defo look at the steering pump and brake pads need replacing also so hopefully one of those two things sorts it out.

Thanks