Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.7 cdti 53 plate won't rev past 3500 rpm

Hi people

I'd love some help, i got an Astra 1.7 cdti on a 53 plate, the car starts fine, and seems to drive ok, if i was to floor it it would red line fine but when im up and running probably when the car is warm or put under load it won't rev past 3500 rpm.
    Had it in to my mechanic and he reckoned it was the Mass air flow sensor, changed it didn't make a difference, plugged it in and Boost pressure sensor came up.
    Spoke to Underwoods in Tiptree Essex who reckoned that wouldn't stop it from revving but then spoke to County motors in Chelmsford said that it could, but that it could be pipe or the wires going to the sensor.
    Really would appreciate some help please.

Mike

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i had an induction kit fitted on mine it went into safe mode and wouldnt rev past 3500rpm could be the maf unless youve got an induction kit

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would that show a code?? and also when cold the car will red line onlt when it gets warm does the rev get limited.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Check the hoses to the actuator on the turbo. If the hose has even the smallest split the actuator may not move causing the turbo to overboost. This will give you an overboost code and cause the engine to into limp mode
    Astra H SRi 1.9 CDTI
    WG Motorworks stage 1.5 Remap, VXR suspension, Whiteline RARB, Courtenay brake hoses, VXR brakes,
    OP COM East Anglia Region

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Really sorry but im not sure where the turbo is and not sure what it looks like, sorry to be a pain but i haven't had the car long and although i know a little about cars not that much either.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the car is a MK 5 then turbo is at front of engine on RHS near the bottom.

There only be 2 hoses going to it - oil return to the engine and the boost control hose to the actuater.

I know this as i have just stripped mine down

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are any warning lights coming on if you thrash it through the gears or you drive at 50mph+ in 4th for a mile or two?

The problem sounds exactly like what happened to mine at 23,000miles. It was in the main dealership for 3days before they found it was the MAF sensor. The error codes all showed an emission problem so were misleading. After they had put my turbo back on and refitted the intercooler and renewed all the hoses the garage had to call in someone from Vauxhall. They also replaced the EGR valve I found out later.

My car was going in to the "limp home" mode, there was power but nowhere near what it should have been. The garage also looked at a vacuum sensor or something similar, on the back left of the engine.

You could have a search on the site for "pedal test", this will show you the stored error codes where your mileage display is. I find the problem with garages now is that they rely on computers too much and despite being "experts", there is very little expertise around now. A good mechanic is as hard to find as a plumber!
    By following the error code for my car they wasted days - due to the lack of understanding as to what could cause that code to show. People on here seem to have a working knowledge of cars, so they might instantly know what the problem is.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfaldo View Post
    Would that show a code?? and also when cold the car will red line onlt when it gets warm does the rev get limited.
    The ECU will protect the engine when cold by not allowing it to be thrashed. The amount of diesel injected is precisely controlled. That's why you shouldn't use a tuning device (and why places like Courtenay do not recommend them) - they take the signal from the ECU and alter it. A tuning device doesn't know when an engine is cold, it just multiplies the input by a set amount which remains constant. That's why engines with them can sound louder when cold. Is it worth risking damage for £20 worth of components. The car will go quieter when it's warmed up as the ECU starts adjusting everything. If you have any black smoke then there is a serious problem, a 1.7 operating correctly will not smoke.
    You shouldn't be accelerating really hard when the car is cold! Give it chance to warm up first. With a diesel it does take longer than a petrol engine.
    When my engine is cold I never go over 2500rpm.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Basically i have a light up which i believe to be the emmisions light, my mate reckons its the engine management but the book says emmisions.
    It came on when i thrashed it from warm, keep it in 3rd and it pulled past 3500rpm but then when my revs dropped but then accelarated it topped out at 3500 revs, then the light came on.
    It does it all the time, but not until i thrash it(accelarate hard) so i it seems i could drive for many many mile s and then tank it and then i seems it'll go past 3500 revs and then it won't go past and the code states Boost Pressure Sensor.
    Seems to drive fine just when u want/need to accelarate hard it won't let you, it is as if it is limiting me to 3500 revs or the ECU is putting it into limp mode, of a sort.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Search for the "pedal test" and tell us your codes, oh and where abouts are you based
    Astra H SRi 1.9 CDTI
    WG Motorworks stage 1.5 Remap, VXR suspension, Whiteline RARB, Courtenay brake hoses, VXR brakes,
    OP COM East Anglia Region

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast