Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a 2.2 like to drive

sxi lee

What is a 2.2 like to drive

Ive sold my sxi and upgraded to a 2.2 sri and would like to no the characteristics of the engine. like are they quick, mpg, which is the best gear, how responsive and so on? O and if your wondering why im asking and not finding out for myself its because its a non runner.

Also can i change my user name to sri lee?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its got a timing chain wich you want to change if its not been done before, and mine seems to use alot of oil even tho it dosn't burn or leak oil. They are not as quick as you would think they are, there is lag until you hit 4000rpm. im getting 35.8mpg at the moment on motorways.
    hope this helps a bit

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tbh not great for a biggish four pot, poor performance,fair mpg,ok torque. I've got one and i'm not a big fan. It sort of does everything ok but does nother great.

I've had tons of Vauxhalls and other car brands so feel this is a fair view.

sxi lee
    Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    its got a timing chain wich you want to change if its not been done before, and mine seems to use alot of oil even tho it dosn't burn or leak oil. They are not as quick as you would think they are, there is lag until you hit 4000rpm. im getting 35.8mpg at the moment on motorways.
    hope this helps a bit
    well thats the problem with it, the chain tensioner had failed so im currently rebuilding it.

im use to topping up oil as my old 1.6 16v couldnt get enough but was hoping the 2.2 would be better. the mpg dont sound to bad tho and it does have alot more extras than my sxi did. thankd for the info

sxi lee
    Quote Originally Posted by pjsprojects View Post
    Tbh not great for a biggish four pot, poor performance,fair mpg,ok torque. I've got one and i'm not a big fan. It sort of does everything ok but does nother great.

I've had tons of Vauxhalls and other car brands so feel this is a fair view.
    o dear sounds like id been better going for the 1.8

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxi lee View Post
    well thats the problem with it, the chain tensioner had failed so im currently rebuilding it.

im use to topping up oil as my old 1.6 16v couldnt get enough but was hoping the 2.2 would be better. the mpg dont sound to bad tho and it does have alot more extras than my sxi did. thankd for the info

yeah i get 405miles per tank for motorway driving, so its good that way. and as for the oil yeah you have to keep an eye on it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    on them if they are looked after oil change every 5k
    people just dont lok after them an the chain goes snap
    the chain oil spray bar gets Blocked with dirty oil an the chain goes snap = a new engine

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think the 1.8 is the best of the bunch isn't it. The spec on the 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 is all quite similar in terms of top speed and 0-60, but for some reason the 2.0 is worse for MPG than the 2.2 isn't it....?? And the 1.8 the best. Anyway I don't own one lol but think the 1.8 is the one to have if you want decent MPG etc as well, and definitely not the 2.0. Thats my thoughts anyway....

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    The 2.2 is far better than the 1.8. Anyone who says otherwise it just talking shite. The 1.8 is a screamer ... you really have the thrash it to get it moving and it is always at high revs on motorway cruises. The 2.2 is a superb motorway cruiser and can easily handle everyday driving. It may not perform as well as a 2.2 should, but it is the best normally aspirated engine vx do.

When I first got mine it was using oil. I subsequently changed to 10w40 semi and this stop the oil drinking - I have no idea what was in when I got it.

I have owned a 1.8, 2.2 and tubby. So I know what the differences feel like.

HTH.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i like the 2.2 but then i would since having one for a few years now. i get about 300miles to a tank. but then my car get driven hard and i have the following done to it.
    cone filter
    2.4 inlet
    fast road cams
    4-1 s/s exhaust manifold
    200cell sports cat
    2.25" s/s exhaust system
    and im getting 177bhp and 163lb/ft
    it pulls well in 2nd, 3rd and 4th right to the line.
    No. 32

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast