Thread: HID Problems

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HID Problems

Just bought and installed a 6000K HID kit off Ebay (Seller: omg_so_cool_car).
    Pleased with the look as they really do look the business , however, the passenger side light does not always 'fire' when they are first turned on and I have to turn them off and back on again until it does eventually turn on.

Anyone else had this problem, know how to solve it?

Also, what is that metal heat sink looking thing in front of the screenwash tank to the right of the battery (2.0 sri 1999) I ask because that's what I have cable tied the ballast to, wondered if that could be causing my issues. (I will eventually bolt the ballasts on to the car, but its tooo f*ckin cold at the moment to faff around with that! )

(Apologies if this has already been asked, a few searches yielded nothing of any real relationship to my problem.)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xander View Post
    Just bought and installed a 6000K HID kit off Ebay (Seller: omg_so_cool_car).
    Pleased with the look as they really do look the business , however, the passenger side light does not always 'fire' when they are first turned on and I have to turn them off and back on again until it does eventually turn on.

Anyone else had this problem, know how to solve it?

Also, what is that metal heat sink looking thing in front of the screenwash tank to the right of the battery (2.0 sri 1999) I ask because that's what I have cable tied the ballast to, wondered if that could be causing my issues. (I will eventually bolt the ballasts on to the car, but its tooo f*ckin cold at the moment to faff around with that! )

(Apologies if this has already been asked, a few searches yielded nothing of any real relationship to my problem.)
    Yes. I had this problem when I fitted 55w HID bulbs. The canbus does not like the higher wattage. When I changed back to 35w HIDs the problem went away. If you do have standard 35w bulbs then it is probably the ballasts that are upsetting the canbus. It's the only other thing in the circuit apart from the bulbs. Don't know what the heat sink thing is. It is possible you have a bad earth. This will increase the drawn current and could cause the canbus to play up. Just cable tying the ballasts won't cause this problem unless something else is affected. They are often fixed using 'glue'.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got the same problem as you first switch them on and one goes out.switch them off and on again then its fine dont understand it must be a hid thing

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    i wouldnt say it was canbus causing the fault as i know a few lads who have had the same fault with there mk4's

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robertshephard View Post
    Yes. I had this problem when I fitted 55w HID bulbs. The canbus does not like the higher wattage. When I changed back to 35w HIDs the problem went away. If you do have standard 35w bulbs then it is probably the ballasts that are upsetting the canbus. It's the only other thing in the circuit apart from the bulbs. Don't know what the heat sink thing is. It is possible you have a bad earth. This will increase the drawn current and could cause the canbus to play up. Just cable tying the ballasts won't cause this problem unless something else is affected. They are often fixed using 'glue'.
    Yeah that makes sense, but the halogens i took out were also 55w bulbs and didn't have a problem with them.
    I thought that the canbus would have more issues with the lower, 35w current system due to it thinking that there was a bulb gone (hence i bought the 55w).

Guess I'm going to have to switch them on and off each time then, as I can't afford to change my system.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem with my first set (same supplier, same wattage, same colour)

so I bought another set and put the dodgy set in my main beams, Now one of them don't work at all lol. FAIL
    rude not 2...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cabriomatt View Post
    I had the same problem with my first set (same supplier, same wattage, same colour)

so I bought another set and put the dodgy set in my main beams, Now one of them don't work at all lol. FAIL
    Haha, typical case of the law of a man called Sod.

Did the new set work ok?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea they work fine, never had a problem with them, had them about 8 months now!

Jus waiting for funds to allow me to buy a new set lol
    rude not 2...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cabriomatt View Post
    Yea they work fine, never had a problem with them, had them about 8 months now!

Jus waiting for funds to allow me to buy a new set lol
    Were the new set the same as the first? (same supplier etc)

Same: bank balance *checks pocket* £0:07

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hahahaha its a state we get in ent it lol

Yep they were exactly the same mate
    rude not 2...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast