Thread: Blowing exhaust. Plus a couple fuel filter queries.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Blowing exhaust. Plus a couple fuel filter queries.

Get the main one done first.....

Had access to the pit at work today, so took the car down for a fuel & oil filter change.
    Whilst under there, i noticed a collection of sooty'ness around one of the joins, just in front of the mid silencer:

& to show the direction of the blow, here it is blowing at the heatshield:

exhaust was fitted in January. Is this just a poor fit or is it something that can happen over time anyway?

Have the car in on the 9th for the cambelt change. I should mention it to the chap (he didn't fit the exhaust) then. What will it be a case of? Just disconnect, & re-join with some paste thrown at it or what? What's the script here?

FUEL FILTER:

Cheers to Geoff for the easy how-to. Although i'd hate to shake your hand if you can grip those flaps off just by your fingers!!!!
    When i went to de-pressurize the system, i was super careful not to lose the rubber thing. Except, there wasn't one when i took the cap off.
    There was a rubber like thing at the very top (inside) of the cap, or at least it looked rubber-like. I was expecting a rubber ring, but there was nothing. Nothing fell down the engine either

Having never done it before, the filter was awkward to get out of the bracket & get the clips off. The garage manager had the doors open, so it was cold & the fingers weren't for moving. Got it done in the end though

ALSO:

Just inside the front passenger wheel, there's some plate like thing. Is it to do with the gearbox? If so, mine was caked in a ythick oily residue and wet in parts too. Is this an issue, or may it be? Is there some sort of leak perhaps? My brother sprayed brake cleaner on it to have a better look, but couldn't see anything.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    fisrt off, i would take the exhaust joint apart and clean it off then add a good smear of exhaust jointing paste and tighten back up, job done. secondly the rubber thing in the top of the fuel rail cap is the seal, exactly as it should be and finally the gearbox end plate often gets gunked up due it's position, wipe it off clean and check it in a week or so and see if it is oil coated, but it is not a usual area for leaks, most of them usually leak from the diff/gearbox plate below

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Cheers buddy.

I was expecting some rubber ring with the fuel rail cap, which is what threw me. When i saw inside the cap, i assumed all must be well as nothing had dropped out.
    Having never tackled the job before, i knew i'd get fuel over me, i just didn't know i'd get that much over me!! lol.

Will ask the mechanic who's doing the cambelt to have a look at the exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    Cheers buddy.

I was expecting some rubber ring with the fuel rail cap, which is what threw me. When i saw inside the cap, i assumed all must be well as nothing had dropped out.
    Having never tackled the job before, i knew i'd get fuel over me, i just didn't know i'd get that much over me!! lol.

Will ask the mechanic who's doing the cambelt to have a look at the exhaust.
    Where is the fuel rail cap located exactly?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Kev I just read the "how to" and when you de-pressurise the system are you pretty much draining all your fuel out of the tank or is it just out of the lines?

Also how much is the fuel filter? I think this may have something to do with my starting issues?!
    rude not 2...

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    when you de-pressurise the system, that is exactly what you are doing, you should not get fuel shooting out everywhere, just press the valve in short bursts, it does not drain the fuel lines or the whole tank. removing the fuel filter causes a small loss of fuel from the lines that are disconnected and what ever fuel is in the removed filter, half a pint at most. no more can escape if the ignition is off as the fuel pump is shut off

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0dm0 View Post
    Where is the fuel rail cap located exactly?
    I can only speak for my car which is a 51-plate 1.8. You need to take the engine cover off.
    Then once this is off, there's a plastic cap where the rear of the engine cover would be. "Sort of" like a dust cap with a slash across it. It's this. Once i took the engine cover off & looked at the how-to i spotted it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by cabriomatt View Post
    Kev I just read the "how to" and when you de-pressurise the system are you pretty much draining all your fuel out of the tank or is it just out of the lines?

Also how much is the fuel filter? I think this may have something to do with my starting issues?!
    No no mate, you're not draining the entire tank.
    I just put a clean rag around the point & pressed in the valve in bursts like steve said. It sort of gushes at first but you don't lose much & it stops releasing anything after a few bursts.

T20 for the fuel filter screw it was for me.

It can be a bit awkward getting the filter out of the bracket (or it was for me - as i'd never done it before so didn't know how rough or whatever i could be). I tried taking the clips off while it was still in the bracket, but that was pointless.
    Got fed up, got a bit rough & took it fully out of the bracket & everything was a piece of piddle then.
    Fuel ran down my arms, so it was handy having my brother ther ein the pit with the rag. Would've been awkward if only going on jack height though i bet.

For my car:

Fuel filter - 25313359
    Retail - 9.35
    T-C/D - 6.70

Many of the regulars will know by now how little i know. This was even easy for ME lol.