Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Blue smoke - oh dear

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    m5dkw82's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Blue smoke - oh dear

    when starting the car I get a puff of blue smoke, driving around seems to be fine - no smoke

    however I leave the car idling for abit then set off and I get quite abit of blue smoke when I set off

    can anyone suggest what problems I may have.

    could it be valve stem oil seals
    End of an era - She's gone to a good home

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    vauxtillidie's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    more likely turbo seals
    2006 Astra VXR, Flame Red, 19's, AFL, Cruise Control, CD70 + Aux in, CID, Bluetooth, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Sight & Light, Check Control, Speed Locking

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    m5dkw82's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just been investigating

    the air pipe going from turbo to fmic is clean, no contamination, taken the exhaust off from the turbo, no play in the shaft doesnt appear to be any oil

    I started the car up with the no exhaust bolted on and a puff of blue smoke cam out instantly.

    is there any way to test to see if it is valve stem oil seals or turbo oil seals

    my turbo is 1 week old and has uprated thrust bearings twin seals and an oil restrictor bolt

    my car had the same symptoms with the previous turbo.........
    End of an era - She's gone to a good home

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    davemk4coupe's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could do a compression test to see if any cylinders are lower than they should be.
    Is it using much oil?
    2006 Astra 1.9CDTi SRi

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    rhys57's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m5dkw82 View Post
    Just been investigating

    the air pipe going from turbo to fmic is clean, no contamination, taken the exhaust off from the turbo, no play in the shaft doesnt appear to be any oil

    I started the car up with the no exhaust bolted on and a puff of blue smoke cam out instantly.

    is there any way to test to see if it is valve stem oil seals or turbo oil seals

    my turbo is 1 week old and has uprated thrust bearings twin seals and an oil restrictor bolt

    my car had the same symptoms with the previous turbo.........

    Looks like you have joined my club mate....


    Are you getting any oil coming out of the turbine housing on the turbo like me?
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    m5dkw82's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by davemk4coupe View Post
    Could do a compression test to see if any cylinders are lower than they should be.
    Is it using much oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys57 View Post
    Looks like you have joined my club mate....


    Are you getting any oil coming out of the turbine housing on the turbo like me?
    Dave - How do I do a compression test

    Rhys - only bit of oil I could find was on the oil return pipe from bottom of turbo to sump

    I suppose the turbo may be leaking internally

    would low compression not cause poor idle and running, car seems to run well.
    End of an era - She's gone to a good home

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    m5dkw82's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now I have changed my mind on the colour of the smoke, it is white and it is definately smoke not steam

    I am gonnna do a search on here but if anyone can suggest anything I would be very greatful
    End of an era - She's gone to a good home

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    SRI-T Keithy's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,745
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So the olny thing that has changed in the last week is the turbo? And now you have fitted the turbo you get smoke? MMMMM in my eyes and a lot of others at a guess the turbo is not working as it should

    White is the new Black

    FARMYARD TUNING

    LEH IS THE FUTURE

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    npfman's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im afraid to fit mine now, might just sell it the amount of trouble people having with these vxr turbos!,

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    rhys57's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m5dkw82 View Post
    Dave - How do I do a compression test

    Rhys - only bit of oil I could find was on the oil return pipe from bottom of turbo to sump

    I suppose the turbo may be leaking internally

    would low compression not cause poor idle and running, car seems to run well.

    Thats where the oil builds up on mine fella, turn the engine on and watch the join where the turbo joins the manifold i can see a tiny amount of smoke coming from mine.
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. White smoke, blue smoke.
    By dp88 in forum Turbo Petrol Engines inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 23:36
  2. Blue smoke?
    By Ant-AstraMK4 in forum Turbo Petrol Engines inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31-05-2013, 15:22
  3. Blue Smoke
    By Jayjaycm in forum Turbo Petrol Engines inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 15:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •