Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If your cambelt needs replacing soon and it hasn't yet...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If your cambelt needs replacing soon and it hasn't yet...

Replace it now. An apprentice in my work bought a car from a garage (Clio '01 I think) and 14 days after warranty the cambelt went and his bill to rebuild the engine was £856.

That was almost 2 weeks ago and they still haven't completely fixed it, so he has to drive his sisters corsa with a pink steering wheel and pink seats whilst she is on holiday.

So the moral is...

If you need it replaced then pull your finger out and get it done, or face a hefty bill.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you think it needs improving, go ahead. My auto-bio - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=211041

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I've been driving mine since Sept 08 without a change. Was on 111k when i bought it & 118k now.

Stupid really, as i should've got it done by now. I >think< the bloke said it'd been changed, but there's no proof, so i should take it as having not been done.

Have bought the parts in now like - cambelt kit & water pump. Our usual mechanic wasn't in today so will try again tomorrow for booking it in. I'm not rich enough to afford Vaux fitting prices

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4th3m4t1kz View Post
    Replace it now. An apprentice in my work bought a car from a garage (Clio '01 I think) and 14 days after warranty the cambelt went and his bill to rebuild the engine was £856.

That was almost 2 weeks ago and they still haven't completely fixed it, so he has to drive his sisters corsa with a pink steering wheel and pink seats whilst she is on holiday.

So the moral is...

If you need it replaced then pull your finger out and get it done, or face a hefty bill.
    That's cheap. I had a 406 2.2 HDI and when the belt snapped the repair bill was £3,600....
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    I've been driving mine since Sept 08 without a change. Was on 111k when i bought it & 118k now.

Stupid really, as i should've got it done by now. I >think< the bloke said it'd been changed, but there's no proof, so i should take it as having not been done.

Have bought the parts in now like - cambelt kit & water pump. Our usual mechanic wasn't in today so will try again tomorrow for booking it in. I'm not rich enough to afford Vaux fitting prices
    Fair enough. Didn't he have a receipt to show it? And maybe you should get it checked. You don't want a large bill for it

Quote Originally Posted by p-a View Post
    That's cheap. I had a 406 2.2 HDI and when the belt snapped the repair bill was £3,600....
    Ouch. What needed replacing
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you think it needs improving, go ahead. My auto-bio - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=211041

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Fair enough. Didn't he have a receipt to show it? And maybe you should get it checked. You don't want a large bill for it
    FSH but last mention of cambelt done was a good while ago.

the guy, who owns a garage, took it in off a woman he knew. He wanted rid of it quick, and it never went through the books, plus i knocked him down to 1.4k from 1.6k & had a new cat fitted as part of the deal as well as.
    I could see the oil was fresh & the filter was clean. Levels had been topped up, but these are obvious things. No receipt of cambelt, just his word.

I shouldn't have left it so long, but i have. Just waiting on our mechanic being ready now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    am pritty shocked at my mates 1.6 hes had it ages its done nearly 130k think he had it from about 60k and the cambelts never been done! its annoying because he doesn't look after the car one bit! but its lasted this long lol
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i brought my 1.4 on a 110k WITHOUT the cambelt ever being chnaged but i had it done as soon as i got it tho
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ouch. What needed replacing
    The entire engine! One of the tensioners broke, which ended in the engine being trashed! The injectors got ruined so they needed to be replaced too. The car was only 4 years old, and well within the recommended cam belt change interval. All in all, buying a Peugeot was an expensive mistake!
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But the longer you go without changing your cambelt the bigger your .... is

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in