Thread: Advice on ICE upgrades please

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool Advice on ICE upgrades please

Hi folks, I picked up my Astra 1.9 SRI on Saturday so i'm new to the forums and could do with a lil advice please.
    I used to own an RX8 which had an awesome BOSE stereo system so I automatically noticed the difference when listening to the Astra's sound system.
    My question is - in your experience, if i simply bought a new head unit would i get a much better sound quality, or would i also need to upgrade the door speakers?
    Thanks guys

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It would be be better, but not as good as upgrading the speakers too, perhaps sticking an amp in the equation, but it isn't essential.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I def upgrade the door speakers along with the HU to get the best improvement. Also then as nry says an amp wouldn't go amiss. You could do this in stages if £ is a factor. I'd say HU, speakers then amp. Why not go the full hog and stick another amp and sub in?? I just finished mine with custom boot enclosure - check out my garage for a look at it. Gonna go for double din HU upgrade next.............

Mark
    Astra H 1.9TDCi 16v SRi XP Sporthatch
    Complete ICE upgrade with custom boot install
    Cruise Control, Interior Door Handle Illumination

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys. I kinda like the look of this d.din HU that someone on the forum had posted:
    http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/kenwo...er-p-3537.html

Think I'll probably just fit that first, and if i'm still not satisfied then i'll carry on modding

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I fitted the same unit into my Zafira four weeks ago and am very happy with it, even on the standard speakers it was a vast improvement over the CD30 that was in there.

I have also changed the front speakers too these http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-q172c-vauxhall.html and sound matted the doors also. Quiet frankly the improvement in sound between speakers was not as good as I anticipated on low volume (keep it low with a baby in the car most of the time) but when you turn them up they sound much warmer and give a round base response compared to the OEM ones.

One thing I would recommend to add onto the head unit is there http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kca-bt200.html this integrates brilliantly with the head unit and is worth every penny when making/receiving calls and TEXT.

I used the Conects2 kit to keep all the screen/trip info, and steering wheel controls.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers fella, It's a tidy little head unit that - will probably get it sorted next week.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just do the head unit first, there will be a noticable increase in sound quality and volume.