Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bigger wheels without lowering

Hi,

I just bought a 2007 Astra Estate. The summer wheels are 16" original 10(?) spoke alloys, which are quite boring both in size and looks. I'm thinking about upgrading to 17 or possibly 18" (snowflake or VXR/BK999-type). However, I'm not particularly happy about lowering the car. I'm a abit afraid that the car will look strange with large wheels without lowering it (in particular 18"). Anyone got pictures of an Astra H (preferably Estate, but anything will do) with 17 or 18" wheels without lowering?

Will fitting 225 wide tires make any noticeable difference in terms of bumpy ride or tracking(don't know if it's the correct word, but the feeling that the car is steering on its own on uneven roads).

Thanks

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some of the astra estates comes with 17" and 18" wheels as standard so shouldnt look to bad if it is not lowered. However some 30/30 or 50/30 springs would make it look much better without being unliveable with.

225 tyres are the standard size on the 18" pentas so assuming they would be the same on the vxr 18's as well.

The word you were refering to as tracking is known as tramlining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anybody got any pictures?

Any experience with the quite cheap 18" alloys on ebay, e.g.:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-vauxhall-vx...item1e58dbbb3e

£70 shipping to norway, but still quite cheap. I guess the tires a crap, but possible to upgrade.