Thread: Alternator / Waterpump removal stupid question...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alternator / Waterpump removal stupid question...

Hey all,

Silly quick question, I'm not likely to touch my cam belt as I'm not that confident in my abilities, I wondered if anyone could tell me what components I can change in the 'belted' system under the bonnet without having to muck about with timing etc and without the chance of me ruining the car..

I.e. Can I change my Alternator, water pump and anything else thats belt driven without touching the cam belt and tensioners etc as i dont trust myself... Ps. its a Z18XE lump...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You cant change the waterpump as thats driven directly off the cambelt. If you do, you will need to renew the whole lot. You cant refit the old belt after you have taken it off.

You can change the alternator though. The A/c pump is also driven off that, however I'm not sure if you would need to start disconnecting the a/c refrigerant pipes which is 100% not for the diy mechanic.

You can also change the power steering pump as thats driven of the aux drive belt.

Thats as much as I know.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Super thanks for that, anyone know about starter motor?

Sorry about the dumbass questions, I've just made it my goal in life to avoid anything in the engine with a belt on it...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Starter motor is easy enough to change too, it's on the opposite side to all the cambelt bits. Just remember when changing the alternator or starter to disconect the battery first
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason