Thread: More cambelt help please

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

More cambelt help please

Hi all I posted before (many thanks for your responses) about the timing belt on my astra 16v and the gist was pretty much I needed to replace it. I've got someone coming out on Tuesday & Wednesday to sort it for me. I am a bit of a car dunce but just wanted to check the info I've been told. He has quoted me £450 max £500. He will remove the head check and replace if nessecary the pistons and replace the belt.

What I want to know is if this will sort the problem and also if the price seems right??

Any advise again will be helpful. Thanks in advance

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    if (from your previous post) you do have piston/valve damage then obviously taking the head off will show this up. if you have and you do need a rebuild and a new belt kit then the price quoted is quite cheap unless you are getting 'mates rates' for labour

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just phoned one out of the paper. My worry is what to expect for my money - if that makes sense? For example could this have caused the engine to be knackered in which case a new engine will be required - but then I presume £500 wouldn't cover that would it. I really know nothing about how costings work. Unfortunately I'm one of these drivers who gets in my car and expects it to go

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    if the belt did snap at speed then the valves will of had some contact with the psitons, quite how bad will not be determined until the head is taken off. my guess is that you will require a head rebuild with new valves etc and probably new pistons if the crowns are damaged. a new timing belt kit and waterpump would also be very wise whilst stripped down, to avoid a repeat. with the costs of garage labour, it may be more viable to source another engine if big damage has occurred.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    with the costs of garage labour, it may be more viable to source another engine if big damage has occurred.
    if you have been quoted 500 quid then another engine would almost certainly be cheaper. You can get the 16v lumps for around the 250 quid mark and fitting should cost no more than 100 quid with it being a straight swap. I would be very wary of re-using the current engine without replacing everyting which will rack up a pretty hefty bill. I had 14 valves and 2 pistons replaced when my belt snapped and the parts price on trade thru a mates garage was 350 quid only for it to blow up again 4 days later when the bottom end went
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here