Thread: Rattling Noise in engine bay

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Rattling Noise in engine bay

Hello guys, sorry in advance if this is the wrong section to post this Question in, if it is, could a Mod' please move it to the correct section, cheers!

Ok so today I went to do my usual weekly checks on my engine, and as I started her up (MK4 1.6 8v astra club - Dont know the engine X code sorry), I noticed a rattling/ticking noise from within the engine bay. I more or less located by ear that the noise was coming from near the air filter / cam belt / spark plug section, but everytime I rev my engine it can be heard. Its not an overly loud rattle, but it's never been there before.

Have checked the spark plugs, all tight, checked for anything rattling in my engine bay, strut brace, loose cables/ harnesses, and all seems ok!

It sounds like a ticking/rattling noise, it's not really loud, but its annoying me now since ive never heard it before!

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me any suggestion as to what it may or could be!

Matt
    Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it more like a ticking noise? guessing it probably an X16SZR depending on the year, maybe the timing belt / tensioner?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes I'd say its actuallly more of a ticking noise. Its a V reg so im guessing 1999, I mean, the engine is running perfectly, theres no performance issues, its just this ticking. Ill give the timing belt e check over once the rain stops! Thanks Scrim for your input dude.
    Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no probs mate, thing is i've got the same thing and i've just changed the timing belt and tensioner on a 1998 astra, so unless its "normal" im unsure too, but thats what i think its from

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hhmm just had a word with someone else and they reckon it could be more to do with valve clearance (camshaft)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ticking noise from air box side of the engine?

Good chance it is the carbon canister thing on the rear of the airbox

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's coming from the airbox side of the engine, near the belt cover and near the spark plugs. Ill check the camshaft scrim, i dont thing its a normal thing because when the car was brought, the engine was totally silent (no abnormal ticking / clicking).
    Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    i would say it is either that you have a sticking hydraulic valve lifter(s) or the start of a failing waterpump bearing, both would give the noise you describe, you could try forte engine flush with an oil change, or if it is the waterpump then a new timing belt kit with a new pump will help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could just be the auxillary belt tensioner - these can often fail over time

when i had the same engine as you (X16SZR) mine went, but all i did was whip off the belt (15mm spanner i think it was on the tensioner bolt to swing it out the way enough to get the belt off)

**at this point u can start the engine to see if the noise goes** remember the alternator wont be charging at this point though!

i then removed the tensioner and gave it a good clean and lubed it up again - bolted it back in and belt on, and the noise went

would defo advise u remove the belt though (i mean the alternator and aircon if fitted) once the belts off, the pressure is off this tensioner so youd then know if it was this causing it

good luck

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can i ask mate? is it the ticking noise there all the time?

I have had my astra for 2 years(give or take) and when my dad first took it out for a test drive before i bought it, there was no noise's nothing.........

The guy said he was getting the timing belt with water pump done and giving it an mot before i bought it so thought okay.........

Ever since and i havent really thought much as it wasnt that noticeable up until the past few months...... when i rev the engine tis as if there is a rattling noise and its coming from the same area.

Now it also happens when your driving along at a steady speed on the motorway/bypass about 50-70 the rattling noise comes back, if it is anything like this i hope it helps but im having my mechanic friend have a look at the timing belt.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast