Thread: How much can the parts take ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How much can the parts take ?

Iv decided to go ahead and tune my 1.4 (z14xe) i know some of you will say its better to just wait and do a engine conversion to something like a Z20LET but i couldnt afford to run something like that.

what im wondering is how much BHP will my internals, driveshaft and gearbox take ?

I had 130bhp as a target with cams,4-2-1 and a map but my dad was talking to his mechanic mate who recons he could get it to about 180BHP, no idea how as iv not spoken to him yet but he tunes N/A engines for stock cars so he might be right. do you think this is possible without a turbo ?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say 130 is the limit for a 1400. but you never know, if your pocket is deep enough 180bhp may be reachable!

I'd like to see how it goes!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was happy at the idea of 130bhp from a 1.4, i imagine it would be fun to drive aswell

well as its my dads mate who said he could get it close to 180 i would like to think i would get a discount of some sort also depending on how much my gearbox and stuff can take will factor how far i go with it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    180hp from a 1400 16v is possible with a huge budget, and a lot of revs! lol

130hp is no issue. Although its revs/torque that break things, if you are planning on revving it over about 7200(after a remap) then its worthwhile putting some ARP rod bolts in there!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what kind of stuff are we talking to get that kind of power other than good catback,4-2-1, cams and a map ? guessing headwork and a new inlet manifold ?

I will only move my rev limter up IF i get my pistons etc balenced, dont really want all the power right high up either as this is my everyday car, only do about 200miles a week though

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats the thing with NA tuning, to make power youve got to rev it, hard. Which puts peak power way up at 6-7k rpm......

To see serious power you need throttle bodies, headwork, decent cams, good exhaust and manifold and aftermarket engine management to run it all. Oh and very deep pockets.

120ish bhp should be achieveable with some fast road cams, nice exhaust/manifold, and a remap.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like im getting my engine balenced then i dont mind reving, long as its out of town so i dont look like a chav if i get really harsh cams to push out the most power up high up driving about town will be nearly impossible?

i was looking at getting a unichip installed after my cams because this isnt going to all happen at the one time so i could get a map on that and when i change bits on my car my local dastek said i only need 2 pay for RR time and very lilltle labour to get the map tweaked

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why not just go for a 1.8 or a 2.0 lump? half the running cost of a highly tuned 1.4 and just as much power. could probably do a few bits to the engine too for the same price.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    because this is abit diffrent aswell and being able to pull away from bigger engined cars in from what they know is a normal 1.4

i thought hard about putting in a z20let but theres noway i could afford to run it, road tax etc would be loads

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    120 would be more than enough for a 1.4 , standard transmission/clutch is not going to cope well above that and it will get costly
    x18xe1 152bhp-136lbft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast