Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New on here, looking for a Astra G Coupe Auto auto? any advice!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New on here, looking for a Astra G Coupe Auto auto? any advice!

Hi all,

Hope i've posted this in the right place?

Just joined this site and looking for some info!
    I don't currently own a Vauxhall Astra Coupe yet but im hoping to change my car next year and was wanting to do my research on the list of cars that i may acquire.
    As you will have guessed a Astra Coupe is on my list but i know so little about them and was hoping some of you guys can help me?

With my job i do alot of miles, the last year ive almost clocked 40k so comfort is one thing im after and the other is to have a automatic gearbox, does anyone have any advice on the autos in the coupes?

Another things i want and it will sound so weird is cupholders and armrest? Do they have them or can you get factory ones?

My main worry is maintanence cost so if i could please ask for any advice or recommendation it would be much appreciated!

Thank you guys in advance, hope to hear from someone!

eddie0826

Also, is it true that vauxhall only did auto for the 2.2L?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can say comfort wise... its a pretty harsh ride. I think the suspensions tuned for sporty handling.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^if you dont lower it you can increase the tyre to 45's which will cushion the blows a bit more.

Maintenance costts are low compared to other cars and the engine if well maintained should cause you no problems at all mate.

You can get an armrest fitted + there is a cup holder incorporated in the door card and a cubby hole thing beside the rear ashtray which is easily accessible while driving and is also big enough for cans etc

Im not sure about the auto's being 2.2 but if they are they use a timing chain so u never have to change it
    BLACK BEAUTY

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I think, comfort wise, my old Renault Megane was sooo comfortable you didn't feel much difference getting out of the car after an hour or 5 minutes in it - just a shame its sooo unreliable and parts/labour were expensive.

Not too sure what the coupes are like for long distance driving in terms of comfort, not really been in one for any more than a few miles, and have only driven a 1.8 a matter of miles itself.

As above, armrests can be bought to fit, no problem at all.

Maintenance costs, lower, yes, but you go to look at the resale value of the car in 2/3 years time if you decide to sell it. Say you buy a car now, which is around 2002, with about 50k on it, 2 years time you come to sell it, the car won't be worth as much as it would be deeemed to possibly have higher than average mileage.

Hope this info helps!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if ur after an auto then id highly recommend the 2.2

the 1.8 model with the auto box is gonna be a bit on the sluggish side especially given the weight of the car in the first place

2.2 should make for a more pleasurable leisurely drive especially given the high amounts of torque it produces.

2.2 coupe Auto should be a little easier to source than a 1.8 auto

think youll still probably struggle to find either quickly though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not too sure what the coupes are like for long distance driving in terms of comfort, not really been in one for any more than a few miles, and have only driven a 1.8 a matter of miles itself.(mgodden1989)

I drive my coupe up to aberdeen all the time and its a 3 hour drive each way and i find it comfortable to go all the way non stop
    BLACK BEAUTY

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the coupes and cabs are great for long distance driving and great fun through winding country lanes

i have a 2.2 auto cab and its never given me any faults, the timing chains are normaly good til 50-60k

a tip for the 2.2 is to go gentle untill its warmed up as its better on the timing chain and the mpg

there was also a 1.6 auto option with the convertible but they are rare...and slow lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys!

Really fast replys by you guys, much appreciated!
    I'm not in a proper hurry, i'd rather by my time to find one at the right price.
    I drive a ford focus 1.6 zetec at the mo for work, so anything will have more power than that for the motorway. I want an auto is because im just gettin sick, 80% of my journeys are in traffic and does me nut in!

My requirements are very wierd, i agree. Auto box, armrest and cupholders! My mates just laugh at me!

The others im researching on are Honda prelude 5th gen, VW golf 2.3 v5 and a Jag x-type 2.5. Its a wierd list but i have a strange imagination!

I don't mind it if it has a harsh ride, more on the seating position and an auto will make me comfy.
    Chain belt? does that mean i wont have to worry about them when i eventually view one?
    Hopefully my focus might fetch me £2k max then a little on top to buy my next car, the car will be used as my everyday work motor!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much would i be aiming at too find a coupe or cab? as my budget wont be that high?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its a pre 2001 2.2 you will need to check if the oil jets for the timing chain were replaced as these could cause the timing chain to be unlubricated and wear the chain

otherwise the engine is very reliable and lives on well over 100k

your probably looking at 3-4k for a decent 2.2 with auto box

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast