Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sat nav

Hi!
    I was wondering about mounting a sat nav in my dash. I've recently just bought a Pioneer avh-p5100dvd with a fold down 7" monitor, but this does not have built in GPS.

I contacted Opel a while ago and they wanted £2000 just for the original sat nav system.

So I was thinking of using the sat nav-console together with either a 5" GPS system or just a 5" touch screen monitor and somehow build a small PC which connects to that monitor.
    But getting a 5" monitor is going to be a bit...hard.. The closest i size i got to was this , a 5.4"..and larger like 6.5" and so on..

So, has anyone got experience of mounted an aftermarket sat nav into the center console before or got a better idea?

..When i think of it, i will need to find a way to get the MFD to show whenever the other monitor is turned off..tricky

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linea Oro View Post
    Hi!
    I was wondering about mounting a sat nav in my dash. I've recently just bought a Pioneer avh-p5100dvd with a fold down 7" monitor, but this does not have built in GPS.

I contacted Opel a while ago and they wanted £2000 just for the original sat nav system.

So I was thinking of using the sat nav-console together with either a 5" GPS system or just a 5" touch screen monitor and somehow build a small PC which connects to that monitor.
    But getting a 5" monitor is going to be a bit...hard.. The closest i size i got to was this , a 5.4"..and larger like 6.5" and so on..

So, has anyone got experience of mounted an aftermarket sat nav into the center console before or got a better idea?

..When i think of it, i will need to find a way to get the MFD to show whenever the other monitor is turned off..tricky
    I've got a Kenwood DNX8220BT set which replaced the VXL radio unit. It fits perfectly in place of the radio. It also includes radio tuner, DVD/CD player, Bluetooth, and USB input. I got mine for £800 second hand as it was a demonstrator. The current version of this unit is about £1200, but it does everything. The screen is 7.4" and the GPS is very easy to use and will recognise full postcodes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi!

I've done it to mine Made a thread aswell, theres a few others who have done the nav mod aswell. Well worth doing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, thanks for the answer
    I think i'm going to go for what Steve's done - fitting an aftermarket GPS into the center console.

Steve: What is the screen size of the GPS you've used?

..And, is it possible to get the MFD display to show in some way, or at least the temperature?
    I need the temperature gauge showing because where I live it can go from +2 degrees celcius here to 0 degrees as fast as you can say "cold" when you're driving. So having something that showed the temperature would have been a big plus.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bring Up My Post?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn’t have thought it would be possible to have the temperature showing, The mods that the people have used involved taking out the original screen completely so it is just an empty hole there, and putting a satnav behind it and lining them up.

You could always do this mod and buy a cheap digital thermometer and stick it on top

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Mount the MFD somewhere else, e.g. lower DIN slot/ashtray/etc. though you may have to extend the wiring.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man View Post
    Mount the MFD somewhere else, e.g. lower DIN slot/ashtray/etc. though you may have to extend the wiring.
    ive put mine into the headlining just above where the interior light is. There was nowhere else to put it and I already had a hole there. Extending the wires is a right ******* tho. This is the centre console;

It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SteveC: Do you got a pic of your MFD?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SteveC: Do you got a pic of your MFD?
    haven't got one sice I did it. Will try to remember to take on when I get home
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here