Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!!..

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!!..

Ok Ok..... So some of you have guessed that the above title has been pinched from the movie Spiderman..

I am curious to know how many of you drivers out there, who have had either a big power jump from a small litre engined car like a 1.4 / 1.6 upto a 1.8 or 2.0, or those that are currently running powerful remaps, whether this extra power has gone to your HEAD and made you in some respects a bad driver.

Over the years I have always prided myself of being a courteous patient driver acknowledging the Drivers code like giving way, flashing to let people in at junctions during traffic etc. However, recently I have found that my patience with other road users has begun to dwindle (Not Good), especially when stuck behind drivers crawling at 25 / 30mph where the limit is considerably more. Or sometimes undertaking because the driver in the overtaking lane is crawling at 40mph on a 60mph stretch of road whilst cars in this lane disappear into the distance.

Whilst I don't drive around like a complete prat, I've got to be honest in saying I have started taking risks that perhaps I shouldn't, but know I can get away with due to the fact that my car is fairly powerful.

Has anyone else let power influence their better judgement?...
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    We have gone from a 1.6 to a 1.9cdti.

Andy said the other day "I better behave, this is a licence loser!"
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Must be said Sami the 1.9cdti's are a lush motor... If I wasn't a petrol head.. I most certainly would have the cdti.....

I won't ask what you were doing for Andy to say this is a license loser!!..
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I went from a 1ltr 12v to my 1.8SRi, then to my 2.0T coupe. Went through the stages of 1, 2 and 3 with the coupe so far.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    I went from a 1ltr 12v to my 1.8SRi, then to my 2.0T coupe. Went through the stages of 1, 2 and 3 with the coupe so far.
    Dave, has the power jumps made you in someway take risks in situations where perhaps you shouldn't or wouldn't normally i.e undertake or become impatient and then overtake someone crawling along?.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wnent from a 70 bhp corsa to a 280bhp monster c20let and i agree i only need to wave my foot above the gas and im overtaking gotta be carful not to let the power get to my head

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.6 16v to VXR - I'm still a shit driver

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldnt say Im an excellent driver... I take calculated risks. BUT, in answer to the question, do I think the power has gone to my head... I think so! When I drive my 2.5 V6 Cougar (soon to be an Astra Coup Tubby) I use its power... But when I step into my gf's tigra I just flow like jelly out of a bottle, not through respect because its the mrs car, the car is more than capable and quite nippy if I wanted to give it a good thrashing, its just uncomfortable to drive a 1.4 very fast, where as with mine it comes easily. I still flash people through junctions ect, just find its more fun to use the petrol pedal alot :-)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would say my driving style has changed with the increase in power and may be I do take the extra risk on the odd occasion, but overall, the increased power has come with increased awareness to make sure that when I do put my foot down, the situation warrants it and as far as I'm aware, it's safe to do so! I went from a 1.2 clio to the 1.9 CDTi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I went from a 5.7 Liter Chevy Caprice (me and my dads car in the US) to my 1.8 liter Coupe :P

I'm 17 and I don't got a license, but when driving on the roads with my parents, i drive with my parking lights combined with the fog lights in the front and i'm almost always 2-5 km/h over the speed limit.
    I pay respect for driver that again respects me. I'll let a driver out in a junction and I keep a fair distance from the car in front (<- something i do, nothing my parents are yelling at me to do :P)

but when i'm out driving with my parents in my Coupe, I have to have a red "L" on the boot lid because i'm still a "learner". I've noticed that the "L" functions like a magnet for other drivers. It seems like they got very bad vision and just have to come closer to actually see what that thing on my boot lid really is.
    When stopping on a red light, i'm always ready with the clutch/throttle so i can fully utilize the 125 hp in my 1.8 liter to accelerate as fast as i can up to the speed limit and holding the speed limit. It's like my way to tell the driver behind to sod off. Either that or i touch the brakes so the brake light comes on, telling them to keep their distance.

People tail gating are very frustrating.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast