Thread: Losing water...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Losing water...

I seem to be losing all the water in my header tank on a regular basis, and coming into winter I am looking to get it sorted.

Now i've replaced a knackered radiator, and thought that this would sort the problem, but I am still losing water. The pipes to the rad have been tightened up, and there doesn't seem to be water coming from them.

I took it to a garage on saturday, and they mentioned the waterpump could be ****ed, but surely if it was knackered the car would be overheating as no water is being pumped around the cooling system? They also said they don't think the HG has failed, and there is no water in the oil and vice versa...

I'm at a bit of a brick wall with it atm, is there any common problems with 1.6 16v astra enignes regarding water loss? Could it be something to do with the heater matrix? or does that not hold any water?

Any help greatly appriciated, as it's going to end up with me getting a cambelt and waterpump, when I don't neccesarily need it.... (cambelt due next year anyway)

Thanks, sorry for the essay.
    Astra GSi 03 in Arden Blue

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wait till we get a dry evening and park your car ontop of some card board. When you move your car you might have a wet patch on the card. This might help you pinpoint where it is coming from.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I checked that before. But that was before the radiator was replaced. I filled it up this morning and went for a quick drive, when I went out to work this afternoon, there was no sign of a leak on the drive, it had been dry this morning aswell so I would of noticed.

I'm just hoping it isn't the HG :|

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When did you change the rad?

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this happened to my 1.6 not long ago had no sign of water on my drive but was loosing water quite quick, got it compresion tested and put on the ramp and the leek was coming from the water pump. got that and the cambelt replaced everything was fine.

is there a slite knocking noise from underneath the engine?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRI-T Keithy View Post
    When did you change the rad?
    2 weeks ago yesterday (tuesday)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nath_evs View Post
    is there a slite knocking noise from underneath the engine?
    Sometimes i hear a knocking noise, but tbh I put that down to the coilovers... maybe it could be the pump then.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you only changed the rad 2 weeks ago, it will look as if its losing water for a few days.

This happened to me after I changed my rad in May. I would suggest it takes time for the water to fully reach and circulate around all the parts of the radiator. It also happened on my Vectra for a few days after the coolant was drained to change the cambelt and waterpump.

After about 2 or 3 journeys, my water level settled down and has stayed the same ever since.

How about replacing the header tank cap? Or is the tank itself split along the bottom?

There are also a few small coolant pipes running to and from the throttle body - have you inspected these?

The waterpump can leak only when hot as things expand, therefore concealing any leaks when the car is stationary. I'd get that lot changed now if it needs done nextyear anyway.

If the heater matrix was leaking, you would have damp footwells.

How many miles does the engine have?
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My neighbor had a similar problem in his Calibra, we found out that the water pump had found that it wanted to be changed

But as mentioned above, fill the car up with water and place it on a dry area and check if it's leaking somewhere.
    Also try starting the engine so the water pump will run and check for leaks - both on the ground and from the top of the engine and see if you can pin point where it's leaking.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the reply's.

Iain - The car is on 78k. I will check the header tank before I go to work and have a look at the pipes to the TB.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast