Thread: 55 plate astra 1.3cdti

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

55 plate astra 1.3cdti

i have recently bought a 55 plate 1.3cdti estate and after a couple of weeks my wife noticed that to start it when its cold you have to turn it over a couple of times but once started and for the rest of the day its fine to start straight away, i primarily thought she was not waiting for the glow plug symbol to go out but this is not the case. I have changed the glow plugs for ngk expensive ones and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, the car has covered 83000 miles and was serviced at 73000. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Jamie

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    our engineers run these and a few of them have said after a cold night the car needs turning over more than normal to start,my 1.9cdti seems to start straight away hot or cold?you could always turn the key on and off twice to be sure the glow plugs are warm,and if it starts better then that narrows the problem down a little.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks will try it tomorrow

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my 1.7DTi suffers from this i usually turn it on and of twice then start as if not takes agest to start and smoke for a second then its fine the hole day i gonna get the plugs changed soon
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine takes a lil longer to start than it used to but always starts just turns for like 1/4s longer than it used to?

done 97k on original 5 year old plugs so im just putting down to the weather

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have tried turning the ignition on and off a couple of times as suggested but it appears to make no difference

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehead View Post
    have tried turning the ignition on and off a couple of times as suggested but it appears to make no difference
    By turning it on they mean, turn the key to the notch before the engine is turned over, wait for the glow plug symbol to turn out and then turn the key back to the off position. Repeat the above and then on the 3rd time of turning the key back to the ON position, twist through to the start position. If that makes no difference it could be a glow plug is knackered.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that is what i have been doing turnig the ignition on allowing the glowplug symbol to go out three times but it makes no difference, i have measured the voltage on the battery with the ignition off and am getting 12v and 14v with the engine running so i assume the battery is fine. I have already changed the glowplugs for the ngk type so any other suggestions would be appreciated

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Faulty CIM not reading the key - This wouldn't be limited to early morning starts.

Fuel starvation - possibly - if the fuel is syphoning back into the tank the pump has to re-prime the system, once re-primed the car will start. Cause would be a very slight air leak in the fuel system, the hole may only be slight. The Frontera B's (Diesels) were known for the fuel return hoses to go porous, the fuel system could drain right back to the tank and given that they didn't have a fuel pump in the tank, no amount of cranking would get them to start.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    would the fuel starvation fault store a fault code, is it worth getting the car plugged in. It has only covered 83000 is the porous pipe a strong possiblity if so am i able to narrow down which pipe is the common culprit