Thread: update - Brakes and centre console

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

update - Brakes and centre console

Ive been collecting the bits for a 5 stud conversion for a while and on wednesday I eventually aquired all the bits to get the front of the car done. However, as always, things didnt go quite as smoothly as I'd hoped. On one hub the splines for the drive shaft to go into had been mashed and needed machined back into shape to accept the drive shaft. The other one seemed to be fine apart from being a little stiff until the weight of the car was put onto it. Once the weight was on the wheel bearing (that it turns out was already very broken) collapsed . So that plus 2 track rod ends, 2 cv boots and some tyre fitting later I was 220 quid worse off but at least the brakes are good now.

bigness.

and this centre cap will give the more observant of you an idea what colour the wheels will be going

The rear setup is in the garage and ready to go after I got the hubs today but will have to wait due to my new semi bankrupt status

The other thing I'd been up to was fitting a satnav centre console. I got the console for the bargain price of £12 and the satnav from work for the even more bargain price of £41 and bashed them together to give this. I love it but it annoys me that I dont have a clock or outside temp thing any more;

And the other thing I did was refit my standard headlight for the winter and get hold of an end cap eventually

It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hello mate how did u wire up the sat nav because mine has an on/off button on top and how do u charge it

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    second that i am after doing the sat nav console but never thought of that. Cheers
    Lowry's 2.0 DTi Diary - The Story.....Ended
    Gone.....But will be back soon!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that one has a auto on/off switch. Its wired into the back of the cigarette lighter so when you turn the ignition on it comes on and turn it off it goes off. All Garmins do that as do most tomtoms and the majority of cheaper models such as the one I have

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about the hubs matey

I just picked up the entire assembly from a Zaf about 6mths back - had no idea the hubs were in such a bad state

Surprised at the repair costs tho - especially as a brand new hub can be had for £65 each

lookin forward to seein the rears completed and everything all up n running

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    Sorry to hear about the hubs matey

I just picked up the entire assembly from a Zaf about 6mths back - had no idea the hubs were in such a bad state

Surprised at the repair costs tho - especially as a brand new hub can be had for £65 each

lookin forward to seein the rears completed and everything all up n running
    dont worry about it mate, shit happens ey . At least its sorted now. Hopefully I'll have a bit more luck with the back ones. The rear hubs and backing plates on a zaf and astra are the same arent they?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just checked EPC mate and 100% the same so will be plug n play no worries

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking good mate! Look forward to more updates! What grill is that? I'm after a new one! My colour coded one is all chipped now!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMant View Post
    Looking good mate! Look forward to more updates! What grill is that? I'm after a new one! My colour coded one is all chipped now!
    the grill is a kamei one mate. do a search on ebay, I think there around the 100 quid mark ish new

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    just checked EPC mate and 100% the same so will be plug n play no worries
    excellent. One other thing, ive got the calipers for the 4 stud version (which runs 240mm disks instead of 26?mm disks), the only difference I can see between the calipers from having a look is that the piston is 2mm wider on the 5 one for the larger disks. Aside from that the dimensions look the same, the pads are the same and the disks are the same diameter. Can I use those calipers or does it have to be the bigger ones?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Steve, the one thing I cant fathom out on EPC is the rear calipers

Ive got a brand new pair of rear Lucas calipers here I bought a few months back but havent been able to work out what parts i need to fit to mine so gave up!

You can compare it to my spare set if thats any use - but from what i remember your current 4 stud 240mm calipers wont fit - iirc the carriers are the same though - i really cant recall and give up im soz bud

264 btw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast