Thread: Dying VXR turbo - Opinions Please

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Dying VXR turbo - Opinions Please

basically i did the vxr engine box conversion with a turbo that had only done 10k ish, anyway i had the map and it lasted about 3000 miles (very fun but hard miles that included Germany and the Nurburgring ), anyway now it is not boosting past 13 -14psi and not overboosting at all.

I am now trying to decide whether to send off the turbo for uprating then add the forge diverter valve and oil restrictor or just pootle in it for a few monthes and save to go down the garrett route (courtenays kit will be ready in the new year). Obviously the latter being way more cost than i want but if i go down the refurb route i dont want to have to do it again 12 months on.

What do you think i should do?
    Mk4 GSi, VXR Engine/gearbox, quaife LSD, Custom FMIC & Pipework, Piper 3" Ex, CS Garett turbo/manifold, 342bhp 365lbft - Sold replaced by 2007 RS4 Avant -also looking for spec blue mk3 ph1 GSI

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If boosts the problem, could it not perhaps be spring in the actuator that's on its way out and not the actual turbo itself? I know a few guys who've had similar problems, but all that was needed was a new or uprated actuator (such as the Collins -31). That'd be a lot cheaper than a new turbo!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    possible but I did the check of pulling out the vacuum pipe from the turbo to let it run freely and it still didnt boost over 13-14psi so assume it can only be turbo? , i also found small pools of oil in the inlet pipe to the throttle boddy (i know ther is usually a coating on it but not pools)
    Mk4 GSi, VXR Engine/gearbox, quaife LSD, Custom FMIC & Pipework, Piper 3" Ex, CS Garett turbo/manifold, 342bhp 365lbft - Sold replaced by 2007 RS4 Avant -also looking for spec blue mk3 ph1 GSI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had small pools of oil in my intercooler pipe until i disconnected the crank breather. Cleaned all the pipes up and bobs your uncle oil never came back.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Being honest as time goes on i think i am looking for excuses to go garett lol

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    whats the price differance between the rebuild and the garett?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the rebuild, forge valve and bolt would be circa £500 against the garett,manifold/water/oil pipes, downpipe adjust, mapping and assuming I can sell old turbo/manifold total additional cost of about 2k

Quite a price difference I suppose but an extra 40 ponies and more reliability

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    massive amount of differance in price. I expect you need to be 100% sure on your final goal bhp figure, as there will always be more gained for more money. £500 isnt to bad for the rebuild though, does any warrenty come with it?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think so from what i have read on here mate, TD/TT give about a year or 12k if i recall after reading npds turbo blog.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tt give 2 years or 24k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast