Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra van cambelt and price

Hi

Can anyone give me a rough price to have the cambelt changed on a 1.7 dti. I am based in the south east if that makes a difference.

Also I am going to look at a 2001 1.7 dti 85k sportive, has factory fit rear seats. Would £2800 be a good price for this? Cambelt has not been changed. Seems expensive to me but the sportives hold their money

Thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would expect it to be about £200 inc parts. As i got my 1.6 16v for £180.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Although the sportive vans hold their price, I'd say £2800 is too much.
    The cambelt kits are £100, plus the labour, so I'd say at least £200!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I only paid £130 + vat for my last one, that was a 1.6 petrol though and not from vaux...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's advisable to buy the whole cambelt kit and not just the belt, to preserve the guarantee etc.....so the price would be about £100 for the kit.

Labour should be no more than £150 if the mechanic is decent and not a timewaster.

So £250 all in MAX imo.

I had mine done recently

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I brought a kit about a month ago for my van, i think its the same engine as yours. Mines the DOHC, Y17DT. It cost me £120. I think the astra desiel kits are quite expensive. My dads transit was only about £60 for the kit.

Word of warning with the 1.7 dti kits. Vauxhall changed the tensioner so it now requires an additional bracket and washer. Make sure if you are buying the new type tensioner that you have them in the kit. I learnt i needed them when i was fitting my new kit and i didnt have them. (The new tensioner has a spring attached, the old has a metal bracket)

I fitted it myself but i was quoted the £120 again by a mates garage if that helps.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a900 View Post
    I brought a kit about a month ago for my van, i think its the same engine as yours. Mines the DOHC, Y17DT. It cost me £120. I think the astra desiel kits are quite expensive. My dads transit was only about £60 for the kit.

Word of warning with the 1.7 dti kits. Vauxhall changed the tensioner so it now requires an additional bracket and washer. Make sure if you are buying the new type tensioner that you have them in the kit. I learnt i needed them when i was fitting my new kit and i didnt have them. (The new tensioner has a spring attached, the old has a metal bracket)

I fitted it myself but i was quoted the £120 again by a mates garage if that helps.
    Yeah, wise words there.
    Make sure you get the CORRECT tensioner!

If the supplier and/or you are confused as to which tensioner it might be, you can always ask them to send BOTH tensioners and then just return the one which doesn't match your existing part. It's far less stress than finding you have the wrong part once the engine is all open!

Also, be aware that if you have the old setup on your Y17DT, then the new setup will fit but you will have to buy an extra bracket for about £80.
    It might be better just to get a straight replacement for the old setup.

I asked a question on another thread about why Vaux decided to modify the cambelt kits, but no one could answer the question.