Thread: purge valve '99 1.6 XEL

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

purge valve '99 1.6 XEL

Hi, new to this forum but thought I'd post up what happened to me. I had to change my dipped beam H7 lamp last week (in the dark) and after moving the top of the airfilter box to get some more room,unknowingly managed to pull out the pipe to the purge valve. the engine tickover was a little high (+500 rpm) but drove home with no drama. looked at it next day,put pipe back in but car kept stalling and wouldn't drive at all well. there followed much wailing and gnashing of teeth and advice sought from experts with varied ideas. With the pipe out the car ran as before so that day was left as it was BUT! next morning after a cup of tea and a read of the haynes book enlightenment dawned!! the ecu only opens the purge valve when engine is warm (to protect cat from excessive unburnt fuel) I managed to get to the car before its first trip and reinserted pipe, the engine management still wanted to stall it on tick over but after about a minute the revs modulated up and down then settled in at normal range Yippee! no expesive trip to dealers.So if you've disturbed the emissions controls it seems its best to start with a cold engine and give the ecu time to adjust settings

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ...andbreathnowpleasedityourpostwiththeodd'return' !

Welcome and thanks for the advice