Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem, and likely argument with garage, help!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Problem, and likely argument with garage, help!

Some of you may remember my previous thread.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=225583

I now have the car back, due to me being away on a course from work, they agreed to drop the car round at my house, and me settle the bill later, which will be today once I finish work. So I have currently paid no money, the full bill is £720.

On driving the car for the first time, I have found the exhaust is still making a blowing noise, even though it has been replaced, the only reason I got it replaced is because I said can you sort the noise out, so they said you will need a new one. Fair enough I thought if it solves the problem, it hasnít.

Also, when I took my car in the steering was perfect, no noises or anything, now it makes a strange whining noise, the more I turn it the louder and higher pitched it gets, I guess it kind of sounds like something taking off if you see what I mean?
    Now the steering was perfect before, so why is it suddenly doing this, Iíve not even had any work done on the steering!

In light of this, I am going to visit the garage tonight to settle the bill, but Iím just so annoyed now after how much Iíve been messed around and when I do get it back itís even worse with problems it didnít even have! Iíve spoken to a few people who think I should just give them £500 for the clutch, as that is ok now, and just say to them I will not give them the rest until all these problems are sorted out properly. But whatís the best way to approach this?

Itís just annoying as both these problems only started after when they had done work on it!

Thanks for reading, any views welcome.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    check power steering fluid level.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this something they would disturb, while changing a clutch, exhaust, or track-rod end?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    track rod end is your steering mate...

Id pay for everything you agreed on, so clutch and exhaust... they should seek permission before doing any other work if its of a substantial ammount...

Though the whining could be a wheel bearing or something, to hard to really identify, and the racer bo noise could be that the back box wasnt joined well to the middle section, or that it wasnt the backbox at fault

Tell them youve got the problems, and that you wont set the bill in full until there sorted i guess it just takes guts, i no alot of people that wouldnt dare do such a thing

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And the thing is, they are supposed to have road-tested the car before giving it back to me, also the drive from the garage to my house is about 10miles, surely if they were competent enough they would have heard the noise and done something about it before giving it back to me? Especially if it was something so simple?
    Just feel they are taking me for a ride, not a confrontational person at all, and the thought that Iím having to go there and argue with them is actually filling me with dread.
    Yes the £720 is alot and I have probably been over-charged, but just want the car back, and in perfect condition, and then even though I may be skint for a while, at least all the hassle is over, and I have a working car that i have paid for.

I wouldnít dream about arguing like this if I had just paid £100 or something, i would have probably just let it go, but when you are spending £720 you expect everything to be perfect, and especially not come back with a problem it didnít have to begin with!
    Iím lucky to be in a position where I havenít paid, normally you have to argue to get the work done or your money back, but the onus is on them here to justify why I should give them the full bill amount for work not correctly done, if they get arsey or turn funny I can simply walk out and drive away, Iíve already decided i wont be using them again whatever the outcome of this is.

Edit: just driven the car again, and the exhaust noise is not actually just still there, but worse!

Before it would do it under load accelerating, like uphill etc, but now it makes the noise when revving up from idling and also makes a back-firing noise when i take my foot off the accelerator, the exhaust is new, i can see that but the noise is now actually alot worse.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would pay them nothing until it's all sorted. Only then consider paying them (and I'd negotiate a discount now that you've had to waste your own time going back to them).
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd also recommend the www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk website for next time. You're much more likely to end up with an honest and professional garage.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    dont go in all guns blazing thats for sure..

explane the issues and discus the outcome with them..
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: Been to see the garage, tried my very hardest to keep my cool and pretty much did, they got it on the ramp and found a little gap in one of the exhaust connections, so filled it in with some filler or something similar. Although never got the chance to test it to see if that solved it.
    Mentioned the steering, they heard the noise and agreed it wasnt right, but were adamant it was nothing to do with them, as they hadnt even touched this area, but I kept persevering, and said ok, but it was fine and not making any noises at all before i brought it in.
    They checked the power-steering fluid level and it was full, but agreed they would keep it for a day, put fresh fluid in and see if that helps, although I dont believe they think it will help, as they kept saying well that's a sealed unit inside there, there is nothing we can change or replace you would need a new motor, and again that it's nothing they will have touched.

But as far as I'm concerned if it was fine when it went in, and now it's not then surely that's there fault and they are liable?

The boss has given me his car now until tomorrow, a Merc CLK which is pretty nice car, The main thing is knowing i have his car though, as he will be in more of a hurry to sort my problem out to get his own car back.

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpot2000 View Post

But as far as I'm concerned if it was fine when it went in, and now it's not then surely that's there fault and they are liable?
    I cant really see ur reasoning behind that but i dont need to as its down to you to prove it was fine and taht they damaged it, but to do that u need to know whats wrong lol

good u spoke to him and good there doing something about it, and u have his car for the day too ...

only think i can suggest is that its a car and sometimes its just coinsidence that it was fine before they had it but now its not..

i hav ehad the same on mine... car was fine one day.. worked on and then next day problems... and i know it had nothing to do with the mechanic.. sometimes is just unlucky... hopefully it wil sort itself out for you .
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast