Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought a MK4 but now I'm worried!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bought a MK4 but now I'm worried!

Hello people, I've had a little bit of an impulse buy moment and I'm now a little concerned about what I've got ...

I've given the current owner a deposit via bank transfer and am going to get the car tomorrow, I'm traveling a seriously long way based on just photos/info of the car. My trust lies with the current owner I hope hes honest.

The spec of the car is as follows:

2003 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8
    Black, 3 Door model
    45,000 Miles
    £2250

It seems cheap compared to others on the market but the seller has already agreed to knock £100 off the price to compensate for all the petrol I'm going to burn.

I have seen pictures and the car looks good, all standard and the paint looks to shine nicely.

I have just paid to do a vehicle check with an online company however and the results state the car is subject to a category d insurance write off.

The current owner claims to know nothing about this.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Joe.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cat D is where the insurer deems the car unecnomical to repair. Not usually a problem getting it repaired, just insurance doesn't want to shell out. Best ask what it was Cat D for and make your own decision based on what he tells you.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm sounds a bit dodgey mate, why did you put a deposit down without seeing the car first hand? It could look all shiney etc from the outside but a nightmare under the bonnet! Also the fact that its a Cat D and the guy says he knows nothing about it, this should set off the alarms. I would try to get the money back and look for a car closer to home. Never put money down before seeing the car first hand, I know the excitement can get the better of people sometimes but with such a big purchase you really should check the car out FIRST! If you like it then hand the cash over, never before.

I'd do some further investigations before even thinking about going ahead with the purchase.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Please tell us this isn't relating to e-mails from a foreign seller who wants to sell theitr car to you for an awfully cheap price?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WALK AWAY. there will be no point spending anymore money than the £100 you have already paid. that is a very low price anyway considering the age and milage and as you have found out that if is something is generally cheap there is a reason.

a cat d can be repaired fine but if the guy doesnt even know his own car is a cat d then what else is he not saying? or doe he not know about his own car?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He claims to know nothing about it being a Cat D. It was only through using one of the online car check services I found out...

It has been MOT'd since the Cat D and looks good in the pictures...

Does it sound like a good price and worthwhile buy to the Astra experts on here?

Thanks, Joe.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And, If he knows nothing of the write-off, then walk away.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your asking opinions you really know you should walk away in the back of your mind.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's nothing wrong with a cat d repaired car, just make sure the repair is good and you're only paying 75% if the market value. Remember it's a financial write off not a structual one, so if the car was worth more it would have been fixed and you'd have never known about it.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just spoken to the guy and although a little hard to understand due to his accent I do get the feeling he is trying to be as honest as he possibly can.

He has bought the car and not transferred his details onto the V5 therefore leaving the car in its second owners name.

He has been driving the car for 6 months with no problems and is selling as he needs a 5 door car to get the kids in and out.

He is letting me take the car for £2000 and is shocked to find out that the car is a Cat D. He says he has been using the car to take his kids to school etc and if he thought the car was unsafe there is no way he would let his kids in it. He has also stressed his honesty in describing the car as he appreciates I am going to travel to get it.

At the end of the day even if I get there and it really isn't what he says it is I will just say keep the £100 and good luck selling it mate. I will then scour the web for low milage SRi's...

Will the DVLA know anything about the accident if I give them a call?

Thanks for your help so far...

Joe.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast