Thread: Sealed my doors today (pics)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sealed my doors today (pics)

Got round to sealing my doors today with some loudboys sound deadening, its not perfect as towards the end I noticed that my MDF adapters are not sealed to the door properly so will have to sort this out, can I just fill the gap with some hot glue as I have no more sound deadening left? Sound is much better but still not what I am looking for, I think I may have to fit a sub but I was trying to avoid this.

Anyway here are some pictures as I went along, I know its probably not perfect but its better than before.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Either shape the rear of the MDF with a stanley knife to get a better fit, or run a bead of silicone between the door skin & the baffle.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man View Post
    Either shape the rear of the MDF with a stanley knife to get a better fit, or run a bead of silicone between the door skin & the baffle.
    Cheers will have to wait until next weekend though. If this doesn't improve the sound by much then I think I am probably going to have to go for a sub. Purely for SQ I would assume a smaller sub, something like an 8" or 10" would be better?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If you're after a smallish sub, MTX have just launched an amplified 8" sub enclosure that might do your job.

MTX RT8PT, £99 launch price. Give Phil a call @ AA.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That's a tidy sub box

Very FLI Audio esque
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Do you expect this to make much difference? My doors vibrate like mad (better since I stuffed them with some foam padding but this makes the door skins hard to keep fitted properly) and I'm wondering on this type of thing in the future - is it heavy in weight?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Do you expect this to make much difference? My doors vibrate like mad (better since I stuffed them with some foam padding but this makes the door skins hard to keep fitted properly) and I'm wondering on this type of thing in the future - is it heavy in weight?
    It has made a difference, bass is a lot more solid now and not as boomy, my wing mirrors and rear view mirror both vibrate like crazy when there is bass playing, no rattles from the door cards at all, they are very solid, weight wise this added about 8kg or so, this isnt including the deadening that was already on there.

You could probably do it with less deadening as you really only need to cover the 2 big holes, i sealed up all the holes so the only way air can escape is from the drainage holes at the bottom, the lock and the window seal, but very little air can escape from here, it means the door acts like an enclosure and keeps the front and back of the speaker seperate, I still need to seal around the speaker hopefully at the weekend, talkaudio forum has a lot of information about it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SQ_Man, do you have some more pictures of your boot? I can sort of see it from your display pic but hard to tell, something like that I think would be very dooable, having the subwoofer on the left flush with the parcel shelf and then on the right hand side have the amp behind a bit of mdf hinges at the bottom so I can open it from the top and gain access, I would just carpet it all black to make it look OE, but I think I would like to give something like this a go as it doesnt look too hard to do, just a bit of time and some fiber glass.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You have PM.