Thread: MK4 buying help please

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK4 buying help please

Hi there just joined this forum to get some advice... hope you guys dont mind!

I'm looking at a 200 'x' plate 1.6 sxi, its got 76000 miles on it and lots of history and old mot's to verify mileage. I havent seen the car yet, spoke to seller and he seems happy with any viewing etc etc and seems genuine on the phone.

I'd just like any advice on what to look for, any known problems with these? He is unsure f the timing belt has been done! is that a problem?? he's after £1200 which is about my budget and its had 3 previous owners!

any advice??? thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    originally the timing belt had an interval of 6ok but then vauxhall dropped it to 40k, if you do go for it and timing belt history is vague I would say that for peace of mind you should factor the price of a timing belt tensioners and water pump just to be sure.

things to look for are the rear springs, the 'pig tail' on the ends tends to go, common on all specs of the mk4, not expensive but will be a mot failure. other than that they are quite robust wee car. I have a 2002 1.6 sxi myself with 89k on the clock.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As Duff has said, rear springs. At that mileage I'd be making sure the timing belt are all done - this can be a nice bargaining chip for you.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring