Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking of going from a mk4 SRi to a mk5 SRi?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thinking of going from a mk4 SRi to a mk5 SRi?

Hi all,
    after having a play about on insurance comparison websites I found out that my mk4 1.8 SRi is the same insurance as a mk5 1.8 SRi,

so heres what im thinking,
    Im 18, got 0ncb so im paying £2800 TPFT for a car that wont be worth far short of that,
    Its not the car I struggle to afford its the insurance, plus I see buying a car as a bit more of an investment than insurance if you know what I mean, so Im thinking I might aswell struggle to afford to pay the insurance on a nicer car!

just wanting to get your thoughts on this?
    many thanks
    Todd

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a pretty poor investment, since it will only lose value.

If you're struggling to pay for your insurance, then you will really struggle to afford a new car and the subsequent insurance hike as it's a newer car with a more powerful engine (despite them being in the same group).

My advise would be, find another insurance company cos yours sounds expensive, wait a few years and build up some ncb, and save some money for a new car in a few years.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Crackers! Buy an older but still nice enough car and spend the saved money on beer and women, you're 18

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    It's a pretty poor investment, since it will only lose value.

If you're struggling to pay for your insurance, then you will really struggle to afford a new car and the subsequent insurance hike as it's a newer car with a more powerful engine (despite them being in the same group).

My advise would be, find another insurance company cos yours sounds expensive, wait a few years and build up some ncb, and save some money for a new car in a few years.
    Sorry I wasnt clear enough,
    Ive been getting quotes and my current insurance company was the cheapest out of them all on a mk5 and the price was the same as im paying now,
    also Ive looked around for ages and thats the cheapest I can find
    thanks
    Todd

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    TPFT is really asking for it...spend a fortune on the car, some numpty crashes into you and writes it off, money wasted...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Crackers! Buy an older but still nice enough car and spend the saved money on beer and women, you're 18
    I agree on the beer side, but women dig cars, and theres not many 18 year olds driving round in mk5 SRi's, so indirectly I am spending money on women, or thats what I like to think

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    TPFT is really asking for it...spend a fortune on the car, some numpty crashes into you and writes it off, money wasted...
    they wanted over £4000 for fully comp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    IMO what you said is foolish. Don't take offence though - that's just my opinion. You're talking the same talk as my 17yr old brother, so i'll tell you what i tell him....

If you were loaded & affording that much for insurance was peanuts to you then there's no issue. You admit it's a struggle-
    What's the point in paying rediculous fees? When all it boils down to is you're over-eager to get the car you want.
    Get a 12 month ticket, AT LEAST, keep your nose clean, and THEN have a look at something you really want. No point in throwing money around just for the sake of it. You'll be better saving up for 12 months then you can put more money into the car in the long run (instead of putting it into your insurance companies pockets).

It took me 4 bangers & just shy of 6 years before i bought the Astra i wanted.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your insurance sound like gansters. i have an mk5 sri and im only paying just under a thousand n am 19
    Was Astra Sri

Now Corsa Vxr

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I fail to see here how insurance on a MK4 SRi can be the same on a MK5? Thats confused me big time. Common sense says that the MK5 will cost more to insure, as its worth more?

Anyway, as everybody has said above, if you are struggling to pay insurance at the moment, how you going to afford to buy a new car. Likewise, if you can afford a new car, then why are you struggling to pay for insurance.

It baffles me why people pass their test then go for a car with far too much power than they can cope with.

I passed, drove a MK3 Fiesta 1.3 (£1400 TFPT) for a year, traded that in, drove a 1.6 Megane sporthatch for just under a year (£1900 f.comp), now a MK5 SXi 1.4 for £1300, and I am now 20.

I personally don't see why young drivers buy and drive cars with anything more than a 1.6, even then that probably has too much power for them.

IMO, there should be some sort of government legislation to say that you have to be minimum age of 21, or been driving 3 years to get insurance on anything more than a 1.6 - that is purely my opinion.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast