Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

EGR Valve and limited engine revs

Hi

I got a 2002 1.6 SXI in July, 2nd hand from a garage. Soon after i picked the car up, the engine emissions light came up. I took the car back to the garage, and they cleaned (rather than replaced) the EGR valve. This was covered under a 3 month warranty.

Great - the light on dash went off - and I thought all was well - until about 10 miles later, then came back on again - and has been on ever since. The garage advised me not to worry about it, and just to pop in next time i was passing, and they would fit a new EGR valve. That was a few weeks ago (I live in London, and the garage is the North West!)

The other day though, suddenly on the motorway the car was limited to 3500rpm - and has been every since.

I also might be paranoid a bit - but when I step out of the car, there is a fairly strong smell of fumes. That might be something / nothing though.

So my question is - when I take this back to the garage - if they replace the EGR valve, is that likely to fix my issues - or could the engine limiting to 3500rpm be unrelated to the EGR valve?

Also - is it safe to drive the car with it limited to 3500rpm? Or is that a definite sign that I need to get the car to a garage down here in London ASAP to get it looked at?!

Any help appreciated, as I am a relative car novice.

Thanks!

Chris.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On my mk3 astra sport and vectra sri, had the limited revs which turned out to be the cam sensor.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Moved to Naturally Aspirated...

Could well be the EGR valve - it should be closed under load but open at idle and cruising. If it sticks either way, then whever you're doing the opposite it'll cause problems.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    the limited revs will most likely be due to the EML light on because of the faulty EGR valve. Limp mode will be activated as an ECU protection. should all be fine after the EGR is replaced and sooner rather than later. if the revs are still limited after that then check over the cam and crank sensor, but really a new EGR should solve this

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    type in "pedal test" in the search facility and read the stored codes in the ECU

no doubt be 0400 or similar relating to EGR

£65 will get u a replacement EGR valve if u dont wanna go down the warranty line

takes 2mins to fit and always advisable to disconnect the battery for half hour or so to clear any codes.

you could disconnect the battery now to clear it - but it may come back as the EGR has not been adressed.

also if ur disc the battery - make sure u have the stereo code to hand or it may not switch back on again once reconnected......another tip is locate the ECU in the engine bay and unplug the 2 big ECU plugs for 5mins - same effect as disc the battery but feed to the stereo is retained etc

I suspect i may be confuddling you more though.........

you may wish to spk with the garage and ask them if u source and fit the EGR yourself would them reimburse you the cost if u send them the invoice?

if so then get onto ebay and grab yourself a Delphi EGR from here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-EGR-V...item2c517170dc (request a VAT invoice if u go this route)

HTH

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pedal test link (written by GeordieBandit himself and stuck in my favourites!):

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...78&postcount=2