Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

UbunTu - Any Users?

Hi guys,

Anyone on here use Ubuntu operating system on their desktop PC?? Currently I have got Window XP, which is ok but I have cut my install right back to make it as fast as possible and I only ever use

Internet explorer
    Windows media player
    Word and Excel
    And a couple of other apps for image re-sizing etc.

I mentioned today that still my PC is a little slow, but currently I canít warrant buying a new machine just to make it boot up and respond a little quicker.
    This was when Ubuntu was suggested to me, I have been told that it is a lot quicker to boot than windows, a lot more efficient and is virus proof. Not quite sure I believe its virus proof but I have been told that due to its secure nature there is no need to have a virus scanner (which is by far the biggest overhead on my current windows setup). Are the above statements true? Is it as good as I have been lead to believe?
    Are there any hardware driver compatibility issues that I should be aware of?
    Anyone tried Ubuntu and not liked it? Anyone on here tried it and wondered why they had waited so long before trying it?

Interested to hear your thoughts, views and opinions?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Linux isn't virus proof but there are less around to worry about. Ubuntu does prefer 512MB RAM or higher, and I don't reckon it's overly quicker than Xp to be honest.

How much RAM do you currently have?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use it on a lappy and a numebr of pc's why niot try the live cd?
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The best way to try it and have a fiddle is to get a hold of a "Live CD" - you can ask them to post one out to you (good luck with the postal strikes) or download one yourself and burn it to CD.

You simply stick it in the drive, reboot the PC and it'll boot up Ubuntu, It *WILL* run slower than normal because all the paging (reading etc) is being done from the CD which is a LOT slower than disk reading. If everything works then you can make a decision to install it permanently.

Ubuntu wants 256MB ram as a minimum - anything more is a bonus. The good thing is you can pick and chose what's loaded and running at any given time. You have FAR more control over your system than with XP. It is highly customisable.

You can get viruses on Linux however the protection available will use a far smaller memory footprint than anything for Windows based machines. The way Ubuntu is coded and deployed means it's difficult to do any real damage to the system - you'll always be able to boot it up and fix problems

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    Hi guys,

Anyone on here use Ubuntu operating system on their desktop PC?? Currently I have got Window XP, which is ok but I have cut my install right back to make it as fast as possible and I only ever use

Internet explorer
    Windows media player
    Word and Excel
    And a couple of other apps for image re-sizing etc.

I mentioned today that still my PC is a little slow, but currently I canít warrant buying a new machine just to make it boot up and respond a little quicker.
    This was when Ubuntu was suggested to me, I have been told that it is a lot quicker to boot than windows, a lot more efficient and is virus proof. Not quite sure I believe its virus proof but I have been told that due to its secure nature there is no need to have a virus scanner (which is by far the biggest overhead on my current windows setup). Are the above statements true? Is it as good as I have been lead to believe?
    Are there any hardware driver compatibility issues that I should be aware of?
    Anyone tried Ubuntu and not liked it? Anyone on here tried it and wondered why they had waited so long before trying it?

Interested to hear your thoughts, views and opinions?
    As mentiond its not virus proof how ever its very close.
    How ever if your still handleing windows files (I use the term loosly to represent any file created under windows) then you still should install AV software.
    IMHO you should install AV+Mall ware scanners anyway just incase you get infected before the patch is available.
    POINT OF NOTE: Kaspersky AV works on linux and is one of the oldest AV companies to support Linux.

As to software
    IE well FF or Chrome should replace IE no matter what os you use
    WMP?(didn't know anyone used it) I use iTunes on windows but for linux Amarok is a must.
    Word and exel? Openoffice.org on ALL os's
    Graphics? well what kind? GIMP for raster, Inkscape for Vector, Blender for 3D.
    However if you want image resizeing (including batch work) then PHATCH (on all os's) is a nice friendly program.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers for the replies guys,

I have got 1GB of RAM so should be plenty.

I used ITunes once, but it really messed with my music and as I have a back up drive it search my entire computer and found two of every song etc.

As for graphics, mainly image resizing for hosting on my FTP space.
    I use MSPaint to blank my number plates

I'm going to give this Ubuntu a try, especially if I can boot it direct from a CD...if I really don't like take the CD out and no harm done...sounds good to me

So are you guys using Ubuntu rather than windows??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ubuntu can be ran as a dual boot along with XP - so you can install it on your hard drive and use the (optional) linux boot manager to decide which operating system to boot to.

Be prepared for a lot of updates if you download it, mind you XP has enough if you do a clean install.

Linux Ubuntu is faster than windows XP no doubt, I use it on an old AMD Duron 1400 machine and it boots up slightly quicker than my current no ! machine. For web browsing its fine, you wont notice any difference to xp really.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    cheers guys,

I have just downloaded version 9.10, i'll give it a go later on,

If i never log on again you know i have killed my PC

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to use 8.10LTS untill the laptop broke but the new one I got just before 7 came out uses vista <blasphemous comment>and I'm happy with a using windows vista</blasphemous comment>
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used Ubuntu and other distro's on a daily basis. My laptop runs Ubuntu (just upgraded to 9.10 and it's ****ed up my compiz stuff.. AGAIN! ) and it's a Macbook. Support for it is pretty good and it only takes a small amount of fiddling to solve problems.

Most PC's and Laptops these days are supported right out of the box though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast