Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown Head Gasket or a west ham fan????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Blown Head Gasket or a west ham fan????

Hello There!

im new to this Astr Owners Club malarcy so please be nice and gentle with me lol

i have an Astra SRI 1.8 (Z18XE) WITH 85000 mile son the clock.
    about a week ago i noticed that i had a lot of bubbles in my overflow tank for the radiator, which a have heard can be a sing of the head gasket going. i thought this was wuite odd, but my trusty friend whos a mechanic seems to think its quite normal behaviour!!
    however....
    before my car was running at what i would call a normal temperature for an astra. taking about 5 to 10 minutes to heat up, to about 85 degrees.
    when im on the run around town it used to drop again to just above 80, and on the motor way it used to sit just below 80. but now it seems to stay just under half way, and everytime i sit at traffic lights the fan comes on at 90 and cools the engine to just under 90

i recently flushed the cooling system( advised by a mechanic) and refilled it with Vauxhall antifreeze, the red stuff, with water. 50/50 split, and guess what, the bubbles came back after 10 minutes!! i have no other signs of the head gasket going, no water in the oil, no white steam out of the exhaust, just a huge amount of bubbles and the engine running hotter than normal.
    has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know why it could happen?
    i hate driving along waiting for the engine to overheat!!
    any help or information would be gratefully received!!

regards Ben

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate. Try changing your thermostat. All the signs are pointing the way that the thermostat is not working as it should. The fan is coming on as it should and goes out again so no problem there. Bubbles could be headgasket but also could come from a faulty thermostat as it is not opening and closing fully as it should. At a small cost thats the first step you should take. Good luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers blackbird, do you think i should get a sniffer test on the coolasnt first? i could do the thermostat my self but its so tight to get tools and ratchets in the engine bay i dont think id have the time to do it myself

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Changing the thermostat is easy enough on these engines, don't even have to drain the coolant if you're stuck for time, just top up with new coolant when you're done.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for advise

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well after going for a drive i thought id check the water. yet again the water level has risen with bubbles. so o took off the cap and yes the bubbles start to over flow the tank. then i remebered something that somebody had told me a while ago. i reved the engine a few times and sure enough the bubbles are moving in sincronization with the throttle peddle. does this mean that im getting gases from the combustion chamber in my coolant? that is defo a blown or leakin g head gasket isnt it?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Calm down mate and have cuppa first. Yes bubbles could mean headgasket but doesn't have to be. The signs you said about temperature going up and down to far when you drive points to thermostat. A leaking thermostat, leaking meaning not closing 100%, could also cause bubbles. So yeah a sniffer test might cost you only ten pound or so and would give you peace of mind. Try and get the sniffer done or get a thermostat of halfords as it is weekend and change it. Overflowing watertank with a warm engine is normal and those bubbles will increase with the engine reving up. Those are your options right now and don't forget stay calm.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh to be honest im not that bothered if it is the head gasket because i can get it done by a mechanic friend in his spare time for the price of parts and 100 quid so id be saving at least 500 notes there. are the halfords thermo's any good? i tend to keep to the GM parts normally. i definately think its thermo now by the because i just dropped my daughter up to her grans and as i turnes the engine on the temp gauge was immediately at 90, then went down to below 80!!!!! that is one messed up thermostat lol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benhavenhand19 View Post
    well after going for a drive i thought id check the water. yet again the water level has risen with bubbles. so o took off the cap and yes the bubbles start to over flow the tank. then i remebered something that somebody had told me a while ago. i reved the engine a few times and sure enough the bubbles are moving in sincronization with the throttle peddle. does this mean that im getting gases from the combustion chamber in my coolant? that is defo a blown or leakin g head gasket isnt it?
    The water pump is driven by the cambelt, so as you rev the engine the water pump spins faster. So there is air getting into the water somewhere, by you increasing the revs the flow of coolant is increased, which is why the bubbles are faster.

My car makes the odd bubble or 2 until I give it a rev. But I have to admit your problem sounds like thermostat. Get a sniff or compression test to be sure though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the info guys. for the record im going down to halfrauds tommorrow to try and get and fit and new thermostat. ill make an update when its been fitted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast