AOC Newbie
    Drives
    2007 1.8VVT Estate
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Z14XE Astra EGR Valve change

I am the third owner of a 2000 Astra G which has never pulled well on part throttle in the 21/2 years I have had it and judders on a small throttle opening when cold. It has had a new coil pack and plugs and I now suspect the EGR valve.
    A service receptionist at a local Vauxhall dealer has advised that an ECU software upgrade is necessary/advisable when replacing the EGR valve (or does this only apply if blanking off?). Is this a load of waffle or would it be a good idea to get an official dealer to check for upgrades as it has only been serviced by independent garages for many years?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

John

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you put a new EGR valve on then you don't need the update, the update just remaps the ECU to ignore the EGR - a Delphi EGR for the Z16XE cost me £60 delivered via eBay, I tried a cheaper one but it was useless. I'm of the opinion that it does do a useful job so I'd rather keep one running.

The EGR should close under load - if it doesn't then it can cause bad running problems, and if it isn't working correctly then idle can be bad, can even cause the engine to stall.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you tried cleaning the valve?

http://www.astraownersclub.com/docum...hnical/EGR.pdf

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Easiest way to tell if is the EGR valve is to pick up a cheap £2.50 blanking plate from eBay. Fit it leaving the EGR wiring connected, zip-tie the EGR somewhere safe. If the symptoms go away then it's the EGR valve.

From most posts here, and my own experience, cleaning the EGR can make it worse

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    can even cause the engine to stall.
    halfway up an up hill m25 sliproad in my case
    Mk4 3 door sxi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Drives
    2007 1.8VVT Estate
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerboy9 View Post
    I am the third owner of a 2000 Astra G which has never pulled well on part throttle in the 21/2 years I have had it and judders on a small throttle opening when cold. It has had a new coil pack and plugs and I now suspect the EGR valve.
    A service receptionist at a local Vauxhall dealer has advised that an ECU software upgrade is necessary/advisable when replacing the EGR valve (or does this only apply if blanking off?). Is this a load of waffle or would it be a good idea to get an official dealer to check for upgrades as it has only been serviced by independent garages for many years?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

John
    Well, I've replaced the EGR valve and given the throttle body a good clean-out. I would describe the engine as being reasonably perky above 3,000 rpm and flat as pancake/slightly hesitant below that.
    Is this normal for a standard ZX14E Estate? Any other suggestions or is it time to put it on a diagnostic tester?
    Should I go to a main dealer or is there a knowledgeable independent in the Enfield area of North London?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The power band kicks in around 3000rpm on these engines, 16v tend to be a bit flat at lower rpms than 8v, it might be normal.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    from what nry has said, i had my light on for a while, seen a thread on here and decided to clean me egr valve, and it started to cut out when ever it hit idel, id recomend a new valve, i also got a delphi valve from ebay, and have tried a cheap valve from a motor factor the only lasted 5 months

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The blanking mod is for the 1.6 8v only.juddering astra G's is always down to super market fuel.stop using it and it wont judder go to shell

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astra20t View Post
    The blanking mod is for the 1.6 8v only.juddering astra G's is always down to super market fuel.stop using it and it wont judder go to shell
    Rubbish, I bought and fitted an EGR blanking plate for my Z16XE/1.6 16v and it cured the problem, however as the EGR valve does a useful job I bought a new EGR.

The EGR blank can be bought and fitted to a number of engines, but unless you get the ECU updated to remove the EGR from the management it isn't worth leaving fitted long term as it can cause engine problems later on as the ECU is still fuelling based on the valve being fitted and working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast