Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knackered turbo? least of my worries!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

knackered turbo? least of my worries!!

well for those who saw my thread last week re: the leaky turbo

it would appear its the least of my worries

whipped off the heatshield yesterday cos i was getting sick of the damn thing masking up potential problems and discovered a nice crack on the vxr mani - usual pot 3 position too!

no real worries i thought seeing as the new tubby has a manifold etc

think again!

noticed that the top left nut was not in place - had a poke inside and low and behold a snapped manifold stud - obviously cant see where its snapped until i remove the mani but it must be inside the head!

What pisses me off more than anything is that the turbo/mani has not been touched since it was fitted

I noticed some time ago this stud wasnt fitted but for some reason thought it was a blank and that it didnt need one in that location..... if only it was this simple!

There was me thinkin it would be a straightforward 2hour job fitting the turbo from the top - but no the rads will have to come off so i can get a conventional drill in from the front and then use a bloody easy out or something and pray no damage is done!

Rant over!!!!!

If im removing both rads etc - is there anything i should watch out for - any hints or tips etc?

Can the AC rad just be displaced and moved out of the way etc without damaging the pipes or do i have to have it discharged blah blah blah

any help appreciated guys

not a happy bunny!!!

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The AC rad will swing out of the way no problem.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just watch what you do with the AC rad as they can be easily damaged.

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    ...Just wait till you have your new one fitted and you are boosting at 4PSI and still getting turbo chatter!!!

Anyhow that is a minor issue I can sort.

If you need a hand let me know, I have 5 days hol left, so I can spare one for a front off turbo refit.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can anyone shed some light on the best easy outs or some other form of gadgetry to get it out!

if the stud hasnt sheared off cleanly then how would i get the best results drilling etc..... god this is not gonna be fun!!!

dont really wanna bodge it and end up fitting the new turbo like the last one and have it blowing out the gap so would prefer it done properly - but not pay another so called pro!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as said above m8 the air con rad will just come out the way and keep it connected etc which will allow you to get in with a drill,hopefully it not snapped off flush with the head so you can get a pair of molies on it and slowly work it out if not your gonna have to centre punch it as best ya can might be worth getting a helli coil just in case so it can be drilled out slightly bigger and the helicoil put in
    courtney stage 3 zafira,Mitsubishi evo geek mapped to 389 and 470 lb of torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its ok to say it probs aint snapped flush but id have thought if it snapped proud of the head then the guy who had the fecker on the bench whilst fitting the others then would have took it out

my suspicion is its stuck well inside and thus the reason why he didnt do the decent thing in the first place!!!!!!

time will tell i guess...

as for helicoil.....oh good god!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    helicoil m8 is the last resort really but if saves taking head off we use to use them all the time,see wot ya saying but maybe he just didnt have time to do it or couldnt be bothered,shame ya cant try to get it when head slightly warm as would come out a bit easier, ps dont be tempted to try to warm it up my mate done that with a v6 head and snapped the corner off
    courtney stage 3 zafira,Mitsubishi evo geek mapped to 389 and 470 lb of torque

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Z20LE* series of engines are renound for this particular stud snapping in use usually given away by a slight exhaust blow from cold, so I doubt very much it was put in like that when your conversion was done. As for repairing, once you've got the rads swung out of the way, before you remove the old turbo and manifold get yourself the same size drill bit as the hole in the manifold, about 8.4mm, you can then effectively use the manifold as a drilling jig. only go in a couple of mm though, just enough to give you a centre loction in the broken stud then go in with the correct size drill for your chosen easi-out before removing the manifold. Jx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    forget the issue with the stud - its more than likely Jayne is right and snapped just recently

Ill take all comments on board and see what happens

any links or info on easy outs cos ive never used them in my life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast