Thread: Hmmm clutch switch!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm clutch switch!!!

Sorry to make a new thread regarding my recent cruise control efforts but I couldn't find the old one and this is slightly off topic...
    Now then I've finally managed to get all three buttons walking on the cruise control stalk, I've checked these with Opcom. However, after numerous attempts to get the clutch switch working, I have failed.
    Autosparks has been a great help in telling my the pin numbers on the ecu to create my own loom, however I have been using 'modified' pins out of a diesel ecu plug and it seems when i plug the resume wire in and the clutch switch wire in niether work... so for now I have removed the clutch switch wire and the resume switch works... so I think the contacts may be shorting before reaching the ecu with my 'modified' pins and wiring. however I still cannot get the clutch switch to work, I have tried earthing it out, putting 12v up it, nothing works :/ is it possible my ecu has not got this capability or is it just broke?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    I have a 2002 1.6 16v SXi (Z16XE)
    cheers guys and gals
    Adam
    OPCOM Stoke / Stafford | reset EML lights | fault codes | program keys | activate cruise control |
    PM me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Your clutch switch should have 3 wires:-
    Brown - earth
    Black - 12v
    Grey - 0v going high when clutch pressed
    Check you are getting the 12v on the grey wire when the clutch is pressed down.

Your Brake switch will have 4 wires:
    2x Black - 12v
    Brown/grey - 12v which goes low when brake pressed
    Grey/Yellow - 0v going high when brake pressed
    Check these 2 wires change as they should when the brake is pressed.

From the cruise control stalk there are 4 wires:
    Black - 12v
    Black/Brown - (I button) goes high when pressed
    Black/Yellow - (R button) goes high when pressed
    Black/Red - (O button) goes low when pressed

If all these are operating correctly & your satisfied that the connections to the ECU are fine the only other thing it might be is that the cruise control may be turned off & needs activated by Tech2.

One note: from starting the engine, cruise control will not operate until you press the brake pedal at least once. It's a built in safety feature.
    Also, cruise control doesn't operate under 20 mph.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have activated it on my Op com and on the measuring sections where you can see all the voltages of things it shows me when i'm pressing the buttons on the stalk and tells me which one so I am 100% sure that they work.. however the clutch switch has been my problem and is constantly recorded as active, i.e the clutch is pressed, I figured this was the default as a safety feature and I have tried everything to get it to say Unactivated :/ i.e the clutch is released, I have maaged to take the clutch switch apart whilst looking at it and cannot get it back together in situe as it gives me a bad head and neck for about a day however as said I have tried earthing it out and puting a voltage up it and it still does not change on my laptop screen. d'ya reckon it needs enabling via tech 2 to tell it there is a clutch switch there? rather than me just clicking cruise control present on opcom?
    Others have activated it this way i think :s
    thanks for your reply
    OPCOM Stoke / Stafford | reset EML lights | fault codes | program keys | activate cruise control |
    PM me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Physically check the output of the clutch switch with a multimeter, just in case it is faulty.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did but there was no live so I had to put a new ignition live into it.. which still din't change it, but what I meant is My clutch switch is in pieces and I have put a live straight into the ecu and it still does nothing :/
    could the ecu be broke or just not realising it sposed to have a clutch switch now?
    PM me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sounds like your switch might have been faulty.

If you have given it a permanent live the cruise control won't work.

Normally, once you press the clutch the switch operates, giving a 12v out to the ECU & disengages the cruise.
    The cruise cannot be re-activated till the clutch & brake switches are giving the correct signals.

Re-read what I said in the earlier post about what signals you get on the various wires. If any of these signals are wrong the cruise will not function.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I understand what you're saying about the operation of cruise control, but on my Op-Com you get a screen showing basically what you're doing to the car
    e.g I press the brake and brake switches 1 &2 change from inactive to active,
    the clutch switch is constantly set to active :/ even after a few 12v bursts up the wire :/ . do you know if there is an option on the actuall tech2 vauxhall use to activate the clutch switch seperately so it will read this 12v as changing the status of the switch?
    PM me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry, can't help you with Tech2, other than to say that when I got mine activated the guy was able to tell me that the switches were all operating & that he had to "Enable" the cruise option in one of the menus to get it working.
    Have you tried a multimeter on the Grey clutch wire to see if it is permanently held high? Sounds like you might have a problem somewhere in your wiring.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    between clutch wire and earth there are no volts ... this means it is ground out basically doesn't it? hmmm IIRC some people have to activate three things to get it to work... clutch, stalk, ecu. whereas on the op com software it says engine-z16xe-program-cruise control- I changed it to present hopeing it would activate everything like people on here say it does :/
    im confused
    i may just give up :/
    PM me!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Lets confirm firstly that I told you that the clutch switch goes to pin 61 in the same connector as the other wires ?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast