Thread: Just a couple questions to the new guy!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a couple questions to the new guy!

Hi all,

I bought my first astra sri turbo on Saturday and am absolutely loving it but i just have a couple questions.

1) Its currently running a Milltek catback exhaust (guessing 2.5 inch bore), VXR turbo along with the (i think) 1.9 airbox conversion and collins dumpvalve (OE dump valve also still in place and working). The last owner said its currently running the standard map, would this damage any damage to the turbo or engine?

2) I noticed yesterday that on boost, it goes up to 10psi then drops down to about 6-7 psi. Is this down to the standard map?

3) Is the EDS IPF unit a good investment or is it better to go to the tuners themselves?

4) What type of boost guage does everyone use? Mechanical or electrical? And woudl you recommend getting oil pressure and temp ones as well?

Sorry if these questions have been asked over and over again but im a bit of noob when it comes this turbo business and just want to make sure everything is all ok.

Other than those questions above, ive figured out most of the stuff myself with the information on forum

Thanks,
    Luke.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wont hurt the turbo or engine, the turbo will opnly allow standard boost from the ecu! until the remap..

ur car shud go to 12psi overboost and hold at 8-9 u might be lossing boost check ur vac lines mate...

most use mechanical gauges

wudnt touch the ipf's as my frineds have ad problems with there cars with these imo

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsi Jase View Post
    wont hurt the turbo or engine, the turbo will opnly allow standard boost from the ecu! until the remap..

ur car shud go to 12psi overboost and hold at 8-9 u might be lossing boost check ur vac lines mate...

most use mechanical gauges

wudnt touch the ipf's as my frineds have ad problems with there cars with these imo
    Thanks.

Ok I will check that this evening.

Oh right, well looks like i shall be looking at places to get it remapped then, any recommendations? I live in the depths of Devon which seems to have little or no decent garages around .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ppl on here are using red dot in enfield mate, getting good figure's and £250 for map....courtnay sport aswell but £500! regal are about same price £500 last time i checked... oh and lose the pre cat to get good figures and also a sports cat wud benifit aswell mate..... then with a fmic shud hit 270bhp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate,

I have a ipf and have had no real problemswith it really its a good bit of kit, Regals service can be slow at times but they do know there stuff.

Also you only really need a sports cat if your going to be running above stage two really
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, being that its around £500 was thinking about getting one so i could map it myself but from what ive read on here, i cant find that many people that had one.

Well i was sort hoping to get around the 300 bhp mark, its got a fmic but need to get the pre-cat and sports cat. Would like to get the VXR injectors and MAF but that wont be next year.

Could I see 300 bhp with those mods?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke801 View Post
    Cool, being that its around £500 was thinking about getting one so i could map it myself but from what ive read on here, i cant find that many people that had one.

Well i was sort hoping to get around the 300 bhp mark, its got a fmic but need to get the pre-cat and sports cat. Would like to get the VXR injectors and MAF but that wont be next year.

Could I see 300 bhp with those mods?
    with pre cat and and sports cat also with the fmic and turbo u have and injectors yes very achievable...