Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traction Control & ABS (another one)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Traction Control & ABS (another one)

Bought My 1.8 SRI from a friend at easter and have done 18,000 trouble free miles since ...until last week:

The TC light started to flicker and the throttle was backed off after I changed up a gear, but without justifiable provication, and in the last 3 days when I get to about 60 the TC light stays on accompnied by the ABS light . I understand from other posts that it is likely to be the hub sensors My friendly local garage took it out for a drive with the diagnostic attached but could find no fault!! I understand if it was the NSF sensor at fault the speedo would not work (it does), there is a rumble from the NSR wheel (sounds like a wheel bearing). To help me discover which wheel is at fault does anyone know if there are TC sensors on the rear hubs as well and are the hubs all the same so I could to a trial and error swap

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive had the same problem, and funny enough i have a 1.8 sri too! as far as i kno there is only TC sensors on the front hubs as its front wheel drive, and all TC does is brake the front wheels to prevent loss of traction. With regards to ABS im not sure ive been told its got something to do with the hub on the front passenger side. Can pick them up on e bay for around 80 quid.

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and the the TC light flickers when its working, so u probably lost grip when changing gear or something. but the 2 lights together means new hub.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    There are ABS sensors on all four hubs, otherwise the ABS would only sense if there was a problem with the front wheels.
    Front hubs are the same parts left & right, rear are same left & right but different to fronts.
    The NSF hub is supposed to be the one that fails the most, however any of them can go faulty. Might be worth getting the car on a code reader to see if any fault codes have been recorded.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Fellas

A couple of things to clarify as I prob didn't explain things fully.

*Although the TC light was flickering and backing off the power it shouldn’t have, I was using very light throttle and the road was dry. It's never done this in similar situations in the last 18,000 miles, when the TC light is joined by the ABS light (after I reach 60 mph (ish) the TC doesn’t intervene anymore.

*I have had the car on a code reader, the code was "co 245" but on a drive it couldn’t identify which wheel was the problem. Sod's law!!

If the TC only senses slippage on the front wheels I was thinking it's the o/s hub as other posts here say the n/s hub also provides a signal to the speedo and it works fine.

Any Ideas?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    TC is part of the ABS & can detect wheelspin on any of the 4 wheels.
    Have seen the NSF hub faulty with the speedo still working.
    Just to check, are all4 wheels fitted with exactly the same spec tyres, i.e. width, profile, etc. as running different profiles has been known to trip the ABS.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for this, all tyres are same size & profile and same tyres have been on the car for the last 10,000 miles.

Looks like a trip back to the garage for another try at the code reader

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine is the other way round.my speedo does not work but i dont get the abs or tc light come on.im taking mine to my mates garage to look at the problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another thought

I was looking at the history for the car and noticed the NSF wheel bearing was changed last May. Would that include the ABS sensor?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the ABS sensor is built into the hub/wheel bearing so unless they ripped it apart then yes it would have been included

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast