Thread: Will's Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Will's Coupe Turbo

Before I had my coupe turbo, my first astra was a 1.4 5 door hatch. The only changes I made to this was the wheels, replacing the steelies with some 16 inch SRI wheels. This is what it looked like when I sold it:

However, the mileage was getting high and I was finally earning some decent money. So for my 19th birthday in June 2009 I bought myself a black coupe turbo:

This is the first 'decent' picture I have of the car, but in the pictures really do not do it any justice. Extras included heated red leather, cruise control, heated wing mirrors, irmscher front splitter, grille, rear spats and spoiler.

The first week of ownership was a bad one to say the least. A leaking rocker cover gasket and then the exhaust snapped! The gasket was replaced easy enough, I added a breather box as well to try and prevent it happening again. You'll also notice the baileys dump valve, which came with the car.

However the exhaust was a different issue, as many know early coupe's had an all in one precat and main cat. Luckily, I knew someone who had a VXR and replaced the exhaust system. I managed to pick up his old pre-cat and lambda sensor for £30! I did some browsing on the web and found that courtenay had an offer on their sports cats and had next day deliver - bonus!

The next day the sports cat arrived and I fitted it along with my VXR precat - in the rain as well! This is the only picture I managed during the day:

With this all fitted and working properly I turned my attention to the dump valve. I had been doing some reading on the forum and decided to disable the vacuum box and run both the baileys and oe dump valve off the throttle body. This is a must do as the drivability is vastly improved and the dump is quicker and louder - no pictures as nothing to see.

I have also picked up a 2.2 airbox, breather filter and yet another rocker cover gasket but more on that when they are fitted.
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well today I fitted the new 2.2 airbox. Was actually a doddle to do, I decided to plumb in a breather filter to the bottom of the airbox so as I don't have a smell of oil through the cabin. I have no pictures of removing the airbox, as it's quite boring. The only bit I was unsure about was extending the wiring, as I'm not the most confident with electrics. But it went smoothly in the end, here is the mid-way point of the wiring:

And the final product of my engine bay, I covered the wiring with some split loom as well. I used rubber hose for the breather and I think it looks a lot more 'original' than a big bit of silicone.

Also, while checking out a noise from the heatshield underneath the car, I found my post cat lambda sensor:

Which was obviously a bit of a state, I re-wired the lot of it for now and covered it in some split loom, which was far too big but should protect it.

So I will be ordering a new item as soon as I've found the cheapest place. I have also noticed my front bumper is falling off, so a new one may be in the pipeline.

I've also enquired about the original dump valve off another member, to remove the baileys as I want to tidy up the engine bay and it doesn't quite have the thrills that it did when I first got it, maybe I'm getting old. But I'm only 19!
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There has been some progress with the car, not much but some none the less.

I managed to acquire an original dump valve from a member on here and set about fitting it - a lot harder than it sounds. The below picture shows the area I had to work in:

Not a lot of room, even with the airbox and pipework off, I was still left with this:

Eventually, after some careful cutting of an allen key, I was able to get the old one out, which to be honest looked an absolute mess:

The actual diaphram didn't look too bad, but I had the new one anyway so I put that in (No pictures but a lot of swearing). I then removed the Baileys and fitted an standard boost hose, the end result of the engine bay was as follows:

Looking very OE, which is exactly what I wanted. However, there was more problems than this. There was oil all over the cam cover, which is stange. After cleaning it off and letting it leak for a day or so, I traced the leak to the oil filler cap and immediately replaced it, hoping this would do the job. Unfortunately, even with the new cap and seal, there was still oil leaking past. I've made a few enquiries about a new cam cover, which will hopefully solve my problem - should be picking one up on friday. If this doesn't solve it - then I will be having to copy a member on here as a result.

The issue of the lambda sensor since the last update has been sorted thanks to AutoVaux, a replacement was ordered, with 5% discount and next day delivery for around £70 for a genuine bosch item - result! I fitted it straight away with the new clips and it no longer drags on the ground.

I also investigated the issue with my front bumper, which has resulted in a need for a respray and some new mounts - but I need the car on a daily basis. I picked up a bumper off a member on here with the irmscher spoiler and brackets in tact:

I've since chopped the slats out to make way for a steinmetz grille. The bumper is going to be picked up this weekend by my step-brother who is going to paint it for me.

Going forward, I have made an enquiry into some wheels I fell in love with way before I even had the car - so I will hopefully have some more news about those in the next few weeks.
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well time for an update. The car went into the garage last week for a cambelt, water pump and alternator belt - not cheap! When it was home I then dropped the oil, changed the filters and the car was running sweet as a nut.

Then I turned my attention to the leaking oil filler cap, I decided to replace the cam cover, no real difference in the look though:

And the result . . . it still leaks So after some thinking, I decided that if I could not fix the problem, I would remove it. A few purchases were made and I was in the garage for the full day and the end result was this:

I have completely removed the oil filler cap from the equation. I know I'll probably get some stick for copying another member, but I did it out of need rather than as a mod. I'll update in a week or so to say if it has worked or not. The only thing I wish I had changed were the bolts, which now look rather rusty and out of place.

You may have noticed in the pictures the dump valve is back. Due to a strange noise from the OE one, I again removed the problem. Made a small spacer to put in the original and plumbed the baileys back in . . . perfect, no more strange noise and a much louder dump valve - unsure if I approve yet.

Final update, the bumper is currently being sprayed and should be back in a week or so. Just need to make another purchase before fitting it
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The bumper is sprayed and back from my step bro, but not yet fitted due to vauxhall getting my part order mixed up. I'll probably delay fitting until I have everything I need for it.

The next update is my wheels, which I collected from Gregg after a 2 hour drive there and another 2 hours back. All home, cleaned and fitted:

It looks really high but thats just where it's been jacked up. It looks a lot better now I've been for a drive in it.

Now, my rocker cover, has it leaked? Well to be truthful yes it has, a bolt was loose and oil had gotten past that, a quick tighten and it's seems to be better.

However, I was still dropping oil. I jacked up the car and found the sump plug washer leaking, tightened that up. Then looked for any other leaks . . . The oil return pipe Luckily vauxhall had a gasket in stock which I should be fitting in the next week or so along with my oil restrictor bolt.

I don't really want to have to buy a new turbo as I'm not going to be looking for big power, just a nice car to drive. Fingers crossed until next time . . .
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a quick update before a proper one next weekend.

The cam cover leaked again so I've fibreglassed it for now and decided I'd make a start on my spare cam cover. I cut the old oil filler cap and have fibreglassed it in. I should hopefully have that ready in a few weeks.

The parts from Vauxhall to fit the bumper are being collected later this week but I'll not be fitting the bumper until next weekend.

I've also ordered some new tyres, which are again being fitted next weekend. Nothing too fancy, just some Falken 452's - I don't need anything more than that on there.

Finally, I fitted my oil restrictor bolt and the oil leak has pretty much gone. But after some further investigation I found it's coming from the turbo itself! It's not losing a lot of oil at all and I'm hoping I'll be able to get it through the M.O.T in March before I think about replacing it.
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well this update is actually a week late but oh well. I got some new tyres fitted, some Falken 452's from Event Tyres who were top notch, came on Saturday at 9.00am and fitted all four.

I then managed to fit my new bumper after some fiddling, although I gave up with the brake ducts so that'll be for another day.

Finally this weekend, I fitted my oil return pipe gasket and gave the car a good clean although no wax. By the time I finished it was getting dark, then the batteries in the camera died so I had to use my phone - which hasn't got the greatest camera!

Anyways, I think it's starting to take shape. I'm going to order the Steinmetz lower grille in the next week or two. The last touch will be lowering, more than likely 30mm - then the outside will be complete (other than some new pressed plates).

Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well this weekend was really about getting the car ready for the MOT. Over the last few weeks it had developed a squeaking noise while going over speedbumps, which I knew instantly was the drop links.

So I set to removing the old ones, the top bolt came undone with ease but then the bottom ones needed cutting off - not the easiest thing with that amount of space. But I set to with the dremel and the old ones were removed:

Then here's a comparisson of the old vs. new, note the result of the nut at the end:

Then putting the new ones in was easy and 10 mins later were all in a nd ready to go:

I then noticed an oil leak and under further investigation found what I dreaded was going to happen. The picture doesn't show it too well, but the seals on the turbo are on their way out. So I'm going to need a new turbo in the very near future. Problem is that it's my daily driver so I'm just trying to avoid boost at every opportunity

Then after that I gave up with being upset, so I decided to wash it to make me feel a bit better:

Next update will probably be in a couple of weeks after the MOT.
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Car went into the garage for its MOT on Saturday and failed on two things:

- petrol filler cap seal torn
    - excessive play in nearside track rod end

It also had an advisory for the oil leak from the oil return pipe. Well, I didn't have the time or the resource to get it done myself so it was booked in for today.

When I got the car home I dropped the oil, changed the oil and air filter as welll as the spark plugs. I then fitted the old cam cover, with the oil filler cap sealed with gasket maker as it was leaking. I then changed the gasket on the oil return pipe, which was a lot of hassle due to the old gasket being melted on - so out came the dremel

Car went back to the garage today and I've just picked it up £80 liighter but with a fresh MOT and no advisories Next job is the fuel filter and pollen filter and then its back to the modifying . . .
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't been on here in a while so thought it's time I update the diary. Well the biggest update is the oil leak, it started up again as soon as I left the garage. I manage to trace the leak to the one way valve on the cam cover, which was non-existent. So I put one in and the oil leak stopped I then ordered a new cam cover of eBay and the engine bay now looks like this:

I need to respray the spark plug cover, but that'll be getting done with the centre console ;-)

Next update is on the front end, after being told steinmetz couldn't get me the lower grille I was a bit stumped, with a gaping big hole in my bumper so one weekend and some cutting later I had this as the end result:

I got some honeycombe mesh from lmf as it's very similar to the gsi bumper grills. I'm not 100% happy with it but it'll get some attention later on in the year.

Finally I got some hids, led sidelights and some clear indicator bulbs. All in all they have not only changed to look of the lights and make the care look more prestigous at night. I haven't got a night picture but this sort of shows the now clear lights.

I also got my tax reminder through today which made me realise Ive owned the coupe a year now! So I gave it a clean and took some pictures and I can conclude that I still love it. Next update will be when I've changed the washers on the oil return bolt and hopefully some lowering springs as it's in desperate need of it.

Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast