Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter

MGodden1989's MK5 SXi - The Story

Right, well have decided that now I am going to start modding the car to change it from its started spec, it was about time I started an AutoBiography of what has been done, and to keep people updated of whats to come in the future.

Please feel free to message me with comments and or suggestions of what I could do.

So, anyway, here goes.

Started out back at end of October 2008. Had owned a Renault Megane Sporthatch since January 2008 and had spent so much in mechanical repairs I just couldn't seem to justify keeping the car on and paying the garages fees everytime it went wrong.

So, the car hunt was on. Looked at several cars, one being the Ford Focus in poverty spec as that is all I would have been able to afford. Literally sat in the car, and got straight back out again, bye bye Mr Ford.

Weeks past and eventually I found something. A black Astra 1.4 SXi on a 55 reg plate. Went down to have a look at it, following weekend (1st November) I was back down the garage signing the log book and paying the £5k the car was up for sale for.

Few details about the car - on 55 plate, registered September 2005 to the Motability Scheme. 1 owner from new, 45,000 miles on the clock, full Vauxhall Service History.

Since that day, I have never looked back, the car is just simply perfect. Was a down grade in engine size from the 1.6 of the Megane to the 5 door 1.4 Astra.

How it looked in the AutoTrader ads:

First small modification to be done was to change the hidiously large aerial which comes as standard on the MK5. Fancied going for something different, and not going for the Bee Sting aerial look. After much looking around on eBay, eventually found a Richbrook Sabre Tooth Aerial in black. Ordered, and fitted:

Next little modification to come was the number plates. Both of my previous cars had their number plates changed, as I don't believe in free advertising for the garages they were bought from - especially the Megane, the garage did me no favours at all, so why should I advertise for them?! Anyway, a mate of mine organised for my plates to be made up for me, going from the standard to these:

Anyway, the modding stopped for quite a few months as the car remained pretty much standard. Had to have rear brake pads replaced early summer, at cost of £50 all in including labour at my local garage. Gave the car its first full detail mid July, which gave the following results:

Got to August, and decided after much persuasion from members on the forum to debadge the rear of the car. So, the morning of the East Anglian Hunstanton meet, was out with the hair dryer and old points card to remove the badges.

And thats pretty much how the car stands for now.

Future plans are:

Cruise Control
    Maybe a set of 18inch Penta's
    Colour coded/debadged front grill
    Smoked rear lights + black high level brake light
    Possibly remove rear wiper

And in the long run, my aim is to have the XP kit fitted - which I suppose makes my ultimate goal of XP kit + penta's to make the car look like an SRi!

More to come in future when it happens ...
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Update on the car:

Had the car fully serviced back in November at total cost of 220 by a local garage. Day after, decided to give the car its final full detail of 2009. Did the whole car, inc. clay, polish, glaze and wax. Pics of it afterwards:

Recently also decided it was time to change the headlight bulbs for some Philips Bluevision ones. Recommended to me by GazTD, am over the moon with them. Work really well, and give off alot of light - main concern was they weren't going to be very bright after hearing some people say that some xenons or xenon effect bulbs weren't great in the dark ...

Plans now for the new year include Cruise Control and colour coding of the front grill.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Ordered a new grill from eBay yesterday, which has arrived today. Will hopefully get it fitted onto the car this weekend so long as I get a spare 10 mins.

Grill I have ordered is the same as the one in the picture below, debagded slatted one. It needs colour coding, but am going to wait until the long summer days, whip it off first thing in the morning and spray it myself.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Not updated this in a while, so here goes ...

First mod was the grill as shown above. Took quite a few weeks with spraying in the evenings, but I got there eventually:

Around the same time I managed to get a set of Facelift rear smoked lights from a guy on AON. Paid £45 for the pair delivered. The drivers side one has a tiny crack in it which is barely visible.

Last weekend, whilst browsing the forum, came across some items that scottyt was selling. Swapped my old pre-facelift rear lights with him for a black rear boot strip. At the same time as bought the pair of smoked side repeaters which he was selling.

Side repeaters fitted:

Black boot strip fitted:

Car will now remain like this for a while whilst I actually save some money for my holiday.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    After having the black boot strip on for around a month, got a little bored with it, and decided to have a play with some 3m carbon vinyl ... the results:

Is going in for its MOT on Friday so will be changing the plates and side repeaters back to standard over the next few days.

Have decided that the front grill is going to be carbon wrapped too to match in with the rear boot strip. Am bidding on some interior parts on eBay at the moment, hopefully if I win them then they will be wrapped as well.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Just a quick update on future plans ...

Firstly yesterday I acquired a new headunit in exhange for my old iPhone + some cash to the other guy. Brand new, never used Alpine CDE-W203Ri double din stereo complete with bluetooth compatability and full iPod/iPhone connectivity. All cables and adaptors were ordered this morning along with a fascia plate. Once its all arrived, time for fitting!

Stereo:

Also won a full champagne centre console on eBay this morning, consists of the surround, heater controls, steering wheel controls, gear surround, light control fascia, cigarette lighter and the strip about the glove box, all delivered for £41. Once I can afford it then it will be carbon wrapped to match in with the stereo a bit better.

Centre console:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Made a couple of changes this weekend.

First one was a wheel swap with a guy on AON. Swapped my 16" SXi snowflake look a likes for a set of SRi 17" alloys. Straight swap, no cash involved. Just 30 mins in a hotel car park swapping wheels.

Next was the new stereo. Took out the CD30 and replaced it with the one I mentioned above.

Was really surprised as to how much better the sound quality was compared to standard.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Update it about a month late as I forgot with all the hype of going on holiday to add to it! Ooops!

Still, here goes. Some better pictures since adding the new wheels, taken just after a full detail hence why theres a nice shine to the car:

Around the end of August I finally managed to get the centre console, heater controls, gear surround and also cigarette lighter section all carbon wrapped and fitted in the car.

The interior in terms of carbon wrapping is not yet finished as I ran out of wrap and time! It will follow in due course along with replacing the 12v/cigarette lighter socket with one from a car with smokers pack. Hopefully will get round to wrapping and fitting asap as the one in there at the moment is kind of letting the car down.

Next things to happen will be some 18inch pentas this weekend coming, along with cruise control. Plan is also then to fit some HIDs over the next few weeks in time for the winter.

After that, am not really sure where to go with the car. Would like to lower it more than it is now, but as it can be seen in pictures above, that might not be possible, along with getting down my road over the speed bumps. Have been considering getting the windows tinted but think I may wait until the 2011 show season starts and get them done at a show.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Decided after seeing some pictures on here and on the net to get some wind deflectors. Anyway, £35 and 1 week later, here we have it, nice set of HEKO wind deflectors fitted:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter

Interior & Number plate LED fitting

Noticed that the boot light wasn't working last week, so decided to get on eBay and order a replacement. Whilst looking I stumbled across LED festoon bulbs which would be a direct replacement for what was in the lights at present. Ordered 4 x 42mm festoon bulbs (1 for boot, 1 for interior light, 1 for glove box and a spare), along with 2 x 501 W5W LEDs for the number plate lights on the rear.

All the bulbs arrived on Friday morning, so Saturday afternoon went about replacing them. Out of the 5 bulbs, all of them except the boot light is working. I think now after replacing the bulb and also the fuse the problem may be a little more involved than I first thought.

Pictures of new bulbs:

Have now ordered some LED side repeater bulbs in amber which I will fit as soon as they arrive. Am also looking for some decent LED sidelight bulbs too.

Over the weekend also ordered a set of Insignia washer jets which I hope to fit soon with a little help from Brennan247.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast