Thread: Remap on 86k turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Remap on 86k turbo

My original turbo has now covered 86k and the temptation for a remap has got the better of me!
    Is a remap going to reduce the life of my turbo at all or do you think i should be ok?
    Currently running SMIC, cat back exhaust and front decat pipe.
    Engine runs fine, doesnt use much oil and when i fitted the front decat there was very minimal movement in the turbo shaft.
    I imagine there is probably no definitive answer, but curious as to other peoples experiences with a remap at this kind of mileage on the ZLET turbo.
    Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    it just comes down how you drive it tbh

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by se6 View Post
    My original turbo has now covered 86k and the temptation for a remap has got the better of me!
    Is a remap going to reduce the life of my turbo at all or do you think i should be ok?
    Currently running SMIC, cat back exhaust and front decat pipe.
    Engine runs fine, doesnt use much oil and when i fitted the front decat there was very minimal movement in the turbo shaft.
    I imagine there is probably no definitive answer, but curious as to other peoples experiences with a remap at this kind of mileage on the ZLET turbo.
    Thanks
    ome to me for a new on your wont last much longer

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 300bhpzafira View Post
    ome to me for a new on your wont last much longer

I agree with Phil buy one off him put it in your garage then you have one for when yours go pop which it will mate once you are running about 260 bhp plus with a remap and smic.
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good chance it will go soon mate mines went at 85k original turbo aswell allthough turbo didnt fail but the manifold did
    slightly tweeked zaffy gsi. vxr turbo. scorpian precat. scorpian 200 cel sports cat. miltek cat back sytem. lowered on jom coilovers. 18" lxy haines

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have a remap by all means, if you go for sensible power then you may be lucky in that nothing will break for maybe the next 20k miles. But things are likely to break so expect to replace the turbo and a few sensors at least, if your engine is already in poor order on top of the 86k milage, then don't be too surprised if you need a re-build or new engine after upping the power.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as i am aware my engine is in good order, regularly serviced, always driven upto temp, cooled down etc. But i guess there is no warning if something is going to go wrong.
    I have read about VXR turbos going after not many miles (in comparison to mine anyway), so im not sure if i would look into a Z20LET turbo and get it reconditioned instead.
    I just want a bit more power, nothing silly that will end up requiring lots of other bits in order to make it run properly.

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    i had mine done at 55k and is now just passed 64k and still on std original turbo ,
    not sure how much longer it will last as is drinking a bit of oil every 1k miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Remapping your car will put extra stress on all of your components it's as simple as that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra 1.9 cdti xpack
    Mentioned in
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    All depends on how well its been looked after mate, As for the turbo it will die not long after or crack the manifold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast