Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Help diagnosing strange noise from 1.9 cdti engine pls

Good morning all ,

I have a 56 reg Astravan 120 1.9 CDTI (8 valve model) that has done just over 40,000 miles and has started emitting a strange noise from the engine .

I noticed it last week after coming off a motorway where I'd been doing 80-85mph for the past hour. When pulling away from junctions and roundabouts there was a faintish squeal/chirping noise coming from the engine bay above 2500 revs in any gear. It was still there if you came off the gas and let it coast (therefore ruling out turbo problems?), but disappeared once the revs dropped under 2500 and also disappeared if I dipped the clutch.

After driving on normal roads for 10-15 mins or so it gradually stopped doing it to the point where it disappeared altogether.

I thought it had self-cured itself (silly me) but I was on a motorway again today and after 15-20 mins of driving at 80-85mph (roughly 2500 revs) I could hear the faint noise of it squealing/chirruping again. As previously, it continued to do it above 2500 revs once off the motorway for around 10-15 mins before disappearing again.

There is no noticeable difference in performance and nothing lights up on the dash either. I've checked the water level and it's at max and the oil level is fine as well (albeit overdue for a change). The only thing I have noticed is that the steering wheel has suddenly started to 'stick' a couple of cms off centre when going round curves on the motorways; you'll be slowly turning the wheel into the curve and then suddenly the wheel 'sticks' ever-so-slightly and needs a touch more pressure to 'free' it. However it's not noticeable at all under non-motorway driving and I can't see how that could be related to the engine making squealing noises at high revs - would seem to be (another) separate issue?

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had a simular noise with mine and it turn out to be the alternator ! i had the noise for ages then one day the power steering was delayed when starting then a few days after that it was dead, since putting a new alternator on i haven heard the noise since?
    i coiuldnt belive the alternator had gone as the van had only done 45k at the time???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as above sounds like ur alternator bearing is giving up
    BLACK BEAUTY

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting.. thanks guys.

Why would it only do it when doing motorway speeds though? One would have thought that if one's alternator were failing then it would make the noises all the time, or at least under a heavy electrical load.

My next question is how should I get this rectified by Vauxhall whilst it's still within warranty? As there are (currently) no warning lights coming up on the dash then Vauxhall are bound to say they can't find anything wrong and 'let it develop' which I don't want to do in case it packs up when I'm miles away from home and end up stranded. I've not used them before but my local dealer will be Perry's in Huddersfield.

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've just had my 'long' back from the garage with the same problem. the squealing could be the alternator belt and if there is a distinct knocking noise on start up for 5 mins or so and if on full lock, your alternator tensioner and pulley could be shagged. mine got fixed under warranty bu i was told that the tensioner would have been around 130 quid +VAT