AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow front bumper and side skirt fitting

im just bought a samuri genuine front bumper and side skirts for my astra
    whats the best way 2 fit them?
    the front bumper has no holes or bits in the corners 4 attaching 2 car and have read on here that u have 2 fit the skirts over the old ones on car know but ones i have are excatly the same lengh as the standard vauxhall ones on my car know

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had some Rieger fluted skirts awhile back and i removed the original skirts. I then used Sikaflex (Tigerseal will also be fine) across the top of the skirts to bond to the bodywork, and a rivet at the front and back of the skirts into the existing holes.

The skirts were then held in place using wooden blocks below the skirts to keep them up and level, and gaffer tape to stop them falling off.

I then cut up some aluminium strips and fibreglassed them on the inside of the skirt to the lip underneath the car (the lip that has the jacking points on) to hold the skirts rigidly in position. After all had dried a day later, they were stuck solid on the car!

Hope that helps!
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea , i kida thought that the guy i got them from said they just bond over exexting skirts but they seem 2 small 2 fit ove unless u have 2 remove both ends n seal that up b4 u put em on.
    got no deal with front though.
    its all oraigail parts and in grp not fibreglass and was custom made 4 a astra , so the bodykit maker website says

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what website did you get it from, as GRP is Fibreglass!

I think that there are some skirts where you can bond over the original ones, but tbh i personally would remove them and put the new ones on fresh!

With the front, you could take off your bumper and measure and even make up a hole template to drill into the new bumper with!

I did something similar a few years ago when i had my R&A rear bumper.....no holes in it for mounting, so very quickly made a very rough template using masking tape! worked perfectly for all but one hole (and that one was hidden under the car)!
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i bought them off a guy on ebay. who bought them 4 his 5dr then write it off a week later b4 fitting it
    its all like a plastic feeling and black.
    i allways thought fibreglass was white
    im thinking let a bodyshop do it but alot wont do grp
    n will only do origail stuff
    dont know y though , thought money is money

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive never had a problem finding a bodyshop that will sort fibreglass bumpers, but they do always moan about how much prep they need as some are shocking and take a really long time to sort imperfections out! MY rear bumper was absolutely shocking and took them days to sort out the wonkiness and holes all over the bumper. It might just cost you a little bit more to get it painted up, but worth a go!

Where abouts are you?

Theres a bodyshop up the A5 between Dunstable and Hockliffe they seem to do quite good work and are very well priced! Im just waiting on a bumper before i take some parts for the gf down there!
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im in yate in bristol
    every bodyshop ive been 2 localy says yep we can do it but cld u bring it over 2 look at it n give a proper quote
    soon as they see its not made by vauxhall they dont wana do it n say they dont do work on non standard parts.
    i dont want 2 travel 2 far as if i get a problem is going bck there n getting bck n forth 2 there as they fix it if it makes sence