Thread: Spotted them all - New astra northwales

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Spotted them all - New astra northwales

Hello and forgive the first post for jumping right in, but thought i would share this with you all.
    I currently own a late astra G exclusiv cabrio on a 55 plate. bit underpowered but a reasonable car to drive and looks great.
    Anyway live in cheshire and girlfriend lives in ruthin in northwales. We just come back from europe in the car, and this was on tuesday the 6th but Coming back from ruthin after dropping my girlfriend home, i spotted one of the new astra's wearing one of the LxxVXL plates. nice, only to be followed by what seemed like a procession all the way if i recall to L30VXL and all on new astra's in all different colours, 2 door, 4 door all different variants.
    Did anyone else spot these ? if i recall there were 2 people in each of the cars. maybe press demo cars or something ?
    they looked great and i hope these are a great success. However i will reserve judgement after driving one.

Contravertial but i personaly never found the Mk5 a great car to drive. the 1.7 diesel was rubbish, slow and laggy on the throttle and laggy coming off the throttle too. steering felt a bit dead wet or dry so you never really know if its gripping or breaking away (until its too late) however the 1.9 CDTI in the SRI is a flyer. i dont think i have driven a diesel as quick as that. It would certainly encourage me to change this astra G cab for a 4 door SRI model.

Anyway enough drivel. be curious to know if anyone else saw this load of astra's and what they were doing ? or was it someone here driving one ?

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    which 1.7 was it you drove? i have had two of the 100bhp ones and not found any probs with been slow on and off the throttle or the steering been bad either!

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Kev, both were the basic 1.7 entry level club 4 door cars so will be the low powered ones.
    Prob was the choice on the fleet at that time was between the last of the old shape (04 / 54 era) focus TDCI 100ps and the astra 1.7. Vauxhall asked why out of 40 choices only 3 drivers went for the astra and the rest went for the focus.
    I personaly selected the focus too, far more responsive to drive, quicker on the motorway (but i think the astra's power was a bit too low down and ran out of puff a bit sharp) and the handling i personaly didnt think was very sharp.
    Dont get me wrong not knocking the astra, but fleet drivers voted with thier feet and selected the car that even i felt was a bit more fun to drive at the expense of slightly higher company car tax.
    However when the choice came up between the first of the new mondeo's and vectra 1.9 SRI diesel, 20/6 went for the vectra. I like the mondeo but its just so damn big. i really like the last of the vectra's

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They would have been the motoring press. We had them in plant the other week. They came and had a tour of the factory to see the new Astra being built then got into a fleet of cars and followed a pre determined route to Portmerion.

All the cars were lined up in plant and were all wearing the vxl plates.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah that explains all. i have to say they looked great and really stood out from the general jelly mould shape and CAD design that dictates how modern cars should be made to look (take note far east)
    I hope they are a big seller for VXL, like i say i always thought the Mk5 was a bit conservative esp in the 4 door shape. however the mk2 focus was utter dreary inside and to drive too, looks a bit better now (inside and out) but lost the fire and fun to drive IMO.