Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: raceland coilovers clunking (not bearing)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

raceland coilovers clunking (not bearing)

hi, had my raceland coilovers fitted a week ago and they look ace but when u turn the wheel past a certaint point they clunk, the old bearing has been fitted, it looks like the noise is the spring moving, a mechanic i know seems to think the bottom spring is too compressed........ the higher the adjusting platform = the more compressed the bottom spring, the car is pretty low, i dont want to lower anymore!! anyone else had this issue? also did u find that if u set the platform heights the same on both sides, the actuall height of the car is uneven???

also had anyone had issues getting their tracking done because they cant get the laser thing in the wheel arch? :-p

any help is much appreciated! :-)
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    droplinks !!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richleeson View Post

also had anyone had issues getting their tracking done because they cant get the laser thing in the wheel arch? :-p

Richleeson, how low is your car then???
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i managed to get my tracking done today i raised it up a bit and they got the things in place feels alot better now its tracked!
    as for the clunking noise i jacked it up and turned the wheel and the noise is the sound of the springs twisting as the wheel turns, it only does this on the drivers side, so i got some wd40 and sprayed it and its sounds a lot better now!! other ppl must have had this issue!

oh and after i had my tracking done i had my tyres filled with nitrogen :-o anyone else had this done? i couldnt resist it for £1 a wheel even though its not going to make a lot of difference for road use :-p its just more temperature stable and absorbs moisture as far as i know.....
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the bearing is working as it should you would get NO noise from the spring.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh right, so do u think the drivers side bearing has gone? if so where can i get one? they hard to change?
    thanks
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRI-T Keithy View Post
    If the bearing is working as it should you would get NO noise from the spring.
    I know what you mean
    I'm getting the same problem and I think that the top bolt might not be as tight as it should be due to not having an off set spanner (incidentally not been able to find one anywhere except eBay on the right size either)
    going to check all the bolts tomorrow as they've been on a week so anything that would have gotten loose will be by now.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richleeson View Post
    hi, had my raceland coilovers fitted a week ago and they look ace but when u turn the wheel past a certaint point they clunk, the old bearing has been fitted, it looks like the noise is the spring moving, a mechanic i know seems to think the bottom spring is too compressed........ the higher the adjusting platform = the more compressed the bottom spring, the car is pretty low, i dont want to lower anymore!! anyone else had this issue? also did u find that if u set the platform heights the same on both sides, the actuall height of the car is uneven???

i have same issue on mine only when you turn slow at speed dont here it id like to no as there brand new

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Easiest way to test your top bearings is jack up and put both side of the car on axle stands. Remove the top nut under the bonnet and remove the top hat. BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE NEXT NUT DOWN.

The push down on the hub so the top of the shock comes away from the inner wing. Stick your had up inside the arch and grab the top of shock mount ie the rubber bit and twist. There should be almost no resistance or notchyness to it. If it wont twist you have two options. either the bearing has not been fitted or the bearing is no good.

Works for me every time

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for that mate,ill give that a go! any idea where i can get a new bearing from?
    !Astra Coupe Turbo!
    243bhp and 334ft/lbs!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast